Killing ourselves for convenience

When Sirius replied, Tayui knew immediately what to say in response. She considered his tone, how his voice lowered and how his gaze was suddenly more focused. His eyes snapped to Tayui’s and she found herself again thinking that they were two raptors. They were both predators, though; she suspected Sirius had a greater perchance for cruelty. She glanced at his hands as he crossed his arms across his chest and then returned her gaze to his visage. Olive green eyes.

“Of course it is,” Tayui replied calmly. She did not mean to antagonize, but merely demonstrate how something could be inherently correct. “It is the truth that shocks and chills, but lies are what console. The truth is often the last thing one wants to hear.” Perhaps that was why she thrived on knowledge and why Shadowed Sun had never flourish. Rarely did others want to advance themselves or their knowledge and when they were given the opportunity to know the truth, they shied away, thinking that if ignorance was bliss, then perhaps they should continue on their honeymoon. Tayui had never believed it, and with no reason to improve herself and continue learning, she had grown jaded and bitter.

“It may just be. You may think I give praise, but I only wish it were something dead. Like a eulogy should be.” She didn’t know if she should continue. She couldn’t trust him and that was why she felt so little. She needed to know she could trust her leader when she herself had been one, once. He did not imbue any sense of pride in her. She was here for a practical reason: to destroy herself more thoroughly than she could have in Anathema.

“I am here to destroy myself,” she replied, voicing it as exactly as she had thought to herself. “I was bound by monotony and needed to return to my birthright. We’re creatures of chaos, not of habituality. When we degrade ourselves to such repetition, we die.” She couldn’t say that she didn’t want to die, but she didn’t want to be bored. She had no real reason for why she was here: she existed and would continue existing for an indefinite time. She didn’t know what happened after death, but she knew she would continue to live in others’ memories, making her eternal.

Messages In This Thread