planting in the early morning
((wc:5+))
(([html]GARLIC[/html] (Allium sativum)
Acts on bacteria, viruses and intestinal parasites. Used medicinally for 5000 years, garlic has many well-researched effects. It is antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and anti-inflammatory. It boosts immune function, helps digestion and has also been shown to have anti-cancer effects. Garlic also reduces cholesterol, blood pressure, blood clotting, and limits free radical damage to blood fats.
Uses: Aside from culinary uses, garlic is most often used to treat high cholesterol and blood pressure. It is also used to treat infections and digestive and respiratory problems. Is extremely effective in dissolving and cleansing cholesterol from the blood stream; it stimulates the digestive tract; it kills worms, parasites and harmful bacteria; it normalizes blood pressure and reduces fever, gas & cramps; it used by athletes for increasing physical strength & energy. ))

Tal and Liam left the house early, right after the sun rose. They made their way down the small trail that led to the garden that Skye grew behind her house. The pack had a communal garden there, and Tal wanted to add to it. Today, he would add the pot of garlic he'd been cultivating. Liam padded quietly at his father's heels, envying his father his two legged form. As they arrived, Tal knelt at the edge of the well tilled dirt. He smiled at his son. "Do you remember what all garlic is used for, Liam?"

The young boy sighed. "It's used to stop fleas and other pests. It lowers fevers. In ancient cultures, the sticky juices were used to bond glass or ceramic. And other stuff. Can I go now, dad? I'm not into all this tree hugging crap." He looked impatiently at his father, his golden eyes unreadable. Tal sighed.

"Liam, it wouldn't kill you to learn these things. My mother-"

"Isn't here, dad. I realize she was some great healer, and some leader of Phoenix Valley. But she left them, and she didn't come with us. So obviously she didn't really care."
Tal looked at his son, injured. The young male looked disdainfully at the pot, then at his father, then turned and walked away, going to his secret place, where his father never went.

Tal sighed, then used the trowel he brought with him to dig a small hole, about four inches deep. He'd started the bulbs shortly after joining the pack. He'd already harvested some, and brought half of it here, to plant. As long as some was replanted after the harvest, the garlic would grow strongly year long, leading to two harvests through the year. Once in spring, once in fall. He'd tend to it, and let Skye and Sky both know it was there. If they wanted to help tend it, it was good. If he'd been here back in October, he would have started it then. As it was, this first crop would be weak, but it would grow stronger with each successive planting.

He broke open a bulb of garlic he'd pulled from his pot, placing each clove about 6 inches apart. A gentle hand brushed the soil back over the cloves. Each clove would grow into a new bulb. As long as no one overdosed themselves with the garlic, there would be plenty to go around, maybe even trade to other packs. An idea sparked in his mind, and a smile crossed his lips. "I have plenty of herbs and the like...I can go to the other packs and see if I can trade them for my own horse and lessons."

He spoke softly. to himself. He liked.. no, he loved the idea of having his own horse. Maybe even his own sheep or pigs. Something great he could contribute to the pack. Cercatori d'Arte had given him so much, he wanted to give back. He wanted to give more in terms of helping the pack. He knew Bangle felt he'd helped more than enough by delivering his pups, but Tal wanted to do more. He felt as if he owed the pack more. More plants in the garden were a good start, but he wanted to do even more.

Messages In This Thread