hoofbeats on my mind
[html]

nomnomnom

Adonia looked thoughtful for a moment as Saul mentioned Arete's malnourishement. He knew she was probably closer to nine months, although she had the body of a six month old. He knew little about feed and he left it to Adonia and whoever else fed them, to figure out what she might need. He realised his folly- he should be communicating with the wolf who was looking after his horses and not just leaving it up to them to figure out what his horses needed. She began to speak and Saul paid better attention to what she was saying. There might be a time when Adonia was away from the pack and he had to actually feed his own horses. He thought of the little horse whose ribs showed and she seemed wobbly on her legs. He wanted to bulk her up to the normal weight of a nine month old foal, but it would be ideal if it could be done quickly. He wanted to start getting Arete used to the lead rope, the lunge line, having blankets on her back and headcollars on. These were all things that would do well in helping her to break her properly.

"That sounds ideal actually. She's just so small and I would guess her to be around nine months old, but she certainly doesnt look like it. I want to start training her soon, but she doesnt have a lot of energy or muscle mass. Would that be okay to set up?"

He asked, glancing across at her as they exited the range of the ranch and began to move out over the valley. The day was nice and warm and he could feel Hermes beneath him, warming up beneath him. He hadnt ridden him bareback a lot and it was a little uncomfortable, but it was a lot simpler than having to tack him up every time he wanted to ride him. Adonia looked across at him as he mentioned his plans and Saul chuckled softly at her response to his jibe about the cow. Of course, the cow and the bull would procreate on their own and Saul wouldnt be surprised if the cow was already pregnant or something of the sort. Adonia's tone turned serious as she asked about the cow population- as of now they only had one cow and that was not enough to seriously raise their numbers. She asked about trading and Saul thought of Anathema. Perhaps they'd accumilated some cows throughout their time living in the mountains.

"I guess trading would work, although I don't know which packs might have more than a handful of cows as well. Perhaps we might be able to find some wild grazing cows now that we've moved past the mountains. It would be a long shot, but there might be a herd or two roaming around that we could take a few cows from. And the obvious thing it- we'd have to trade something to get a cow from another pack and what would we trade, we need all the animals we have here..."

It was a difficult situation and one that required proper thinking and planning. Saul wasnt too sure about which packs had cows, if they had many. Of course, trade with Inferni was out, despite Ichika's pledge to bring peace amoung those of Nova Scotia. They hated wolves and those from Dahlia knew all too well how much. Saul fell silent for a few moments before looking back up. "Well, I don't think breeding our horses is going to be much of a problem, although I think we would have to keep careful documantation about who we breed together. I intend to get a mare soon and breed Hermes with her." He said, glancing down at the horse beneath him. He was very big and he hoped he would find a mare that would be able to withstand that amount of weight on her back, even if it wasnt for very long. Pushing thoughts like that from his mind, he glanced back across towards Adonia, to see if she had anything else she might add.

<style>
.saul-q32 .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.saul-q32 p {padding:2px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.saul-q32 b {color:#2A2E1A; letter-spacing:-.2px; }
.saul-q32 {background-color:#CFDF97; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010dec/saul.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#737F4B; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:450px; text-align:justify; padding:215px 0px 10px 0px; }
.saul-q32-border {width:454px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread