nothing ever happens by itself
WC: 411

Her reassurance did nothing to reassure him. He didn’t know her well enough, so he didn’t know if she would really be careful. She couldn’t know, after all, of what the traditional AniWayans were capable of; she hadn’t been at the meeting. He could warn her, but he feared she would have to learn for herself and he didn’t want that. It honestly scared him to think that she might get herself in trouble. Claudius definitely didn’t want anything bad happening to her when she seemed so nice. But he knew that nice wasn’t good enough for Maska; not when the old values were at stake. Luna didn’t know these old values, and from the looks of it, she was rather new to AniWaya, too. Newer, at least; her scent told this story.

Claudius felt his mouth twitch when she suggested they change the topic. The twitch felt surprisingly like a smile in disguise. Although she wasn’t very subtle, he didn’t mind changing gears. He didn’t want to ignore the real issues at hand, but he could only push someone so far before they broke; he knew that well himself.

When she asked him how he ‘arrived’ at AniWaya, he had to laugh. It was a quiet chuckle, for he did not want to make her feel bad. It was just funny to him because AniWaya had been his home for two years now, and so, he did not so much arrive as originate here.

“I w-a-a-a-s bo-orn he-ere,” he explained with a small chuckle. “I’ve... lived... he-ere for... two years,” he added. Now that he was feeling less awkward around his host, he was able to tame his stutter and his wildly beating heart. Although it was embarrassing that she could not tell he had lived here for so long -- somehow that had to be his fault -- he nonetheless didn’t mind the question. “I kee-ee-p t-t-t-o myse-e-elf. I u-used to li-i-ve with my fa-a-mily until the-e-y left. Bu-ut whe-en I was younger... there were... a lot of u-us. My mo-other, sisters, bro... br... brother... aunt... and... cou-ou-ousins.” His tone darkened slightly when he mentioned his brother and he struggled to pluralize sisters, but otherwise his tone was light. It had been so good when everyone had been together, like a real family. Maybe that was why he struggled so much to create his own family and his own home by himself; it had always been so easy before.

Messages In This Thread