These Words Are My Own
OOC: Awkward-derp-Noss is awkward-derp. God, how do real couples do this without dying of blood pressure? D:

It was perhaps the most endearing--did he just say that word?--thing to see Strel's face the way it was...and amusing... If the redhead had not understood Noss at all--which looked like was the case completely--at least Noss had succeeded in loosening his own nerves by viewing the hilarity. Yet although he was amused, he did not show it lest Strel get the idea that he was being mocked.

With relief Strel took the pelt, but the grey warrior didn't waste time in presenting the next gift, which was the salted meat. He didn't say the words this time--he didn't feel the exact need to since his nerves had lessened quite a bit with the acceptance of the first gift--but he did hold it out as expectantly as before. "I know--it's not for your birthday." He would've elaborated a bit more, but now he was steeling his courage for the final gift and the words that he would have to speak in English--it wouldn't be fair otherwise. Taking the brown bag in hand, Noss let his large fingers toy with the contours that the object inside made, mulling over how to exactly put what he needed to say. It was unlike most other courting rituals--the words were made for opposite genders and fitted such a situation--but using words like 'marriage' and 'wife' were so wrong--and not because of the commitment that they symbolized, but because it was so gender-based. Noss wanted Strel to be his mate, not a wife--to be committed to the man, not bound by law. Equals. "I uh..." The man scratched himself behind the head once or twice before gingerly opening the bag and bringing out the final gift.

What came out was a silver pocket-watch on a long chain, that which had the engraving of a lion rearing on the top surrounded by raised circles. It was very ornate, but the best was on the inside. The watch had a little mechanism at the top, that which Ralla--who he had gotten the watch from in the first place--had shown him was for winding. It did the most curious thing when wound, and so Noss did so, his large fingers making it almost impossible, but he managed. He then pressed the knob he had just wound inwards, making the top pop open. Inside was a round face, surrounded by Roman numerals, and two hands that moved so long as the knob was kept wound. Noss found that five turns of the knob would keep it running for a full day at the most. But the hands were as ornate as the outside covering, there was an inlay of gold on them as well, and on the inside of the top cover were the words 'The best thing about me is you.' Noss didn't know how to read quite as well as his sister, but when she had told him what the words said he had blushed. But really, he liked the watch most of all, even if it never told the right time. He had cleaned it up as best as he could--some of the silver on the inside was still slightly tarnished and refused to give way--but all the other courting-like gifts Ralla had all seemed too...well, girly. Or just too plain, in Noss's opinion. But he thanked her attraction for finding odd and shiny things, and he only hoped that Strel liked it too. He did, however, look away when he presented the gift to Strel, holding the watch out in his palm.

"This is the Gift of Promise, which shows my loyalty to you. I'd...I'd like you to have it, Strelein. I want you to be my..." When had the man ever been this awkward? He had never had to be nervous about such a thing, and now here he was, truly in love with the man before him, and all he could do was be embarrassed. "I want you to be my mate." There; he said it. But the real question was, what would Strel say?

Warrior walks. "Warrior talks." Warrior thinks.

Messages In This Thread