Frozen in the headlights
[html]
WC: 400+

It was probably for the best that the pup spoke his peace and disappeared before Orin's fingertips could brush up against them. For as fantastical as this sight was, the woman's composure was just an act, and she might have broken down in remembrance of her son's death. Instead, the pup spoke to her and disappeared – and somehow she knew he wasn't gone. For a moment her eyes welled up with tears that trickled in a small stream down her cheeks. She stared at the spot for a moment. She thought she should have said something, or should think of something to say now, but she couldn't. What do you tell the ghost of your dead infant? The power of his presence hadn't disappeared with the apparition, though, and soon a feeling of peace overcame her. This moment was beyond words, and he was telling her that it was okay.

Slowly, she turned back to Shawchert as she dried her eyes with the back of her hand. Calm now, she began to speak and then stopped. What was she going to say? Something more about Demetrius. It would be okay. She did not understand why, but that could wait until later.

Something brushed up against her leg and she looked down to see Juliet walk out from under her cloak. When had the girl gotten under there? She smiled and breathed a snicker, and then looked back to Shawchert. “I... don't really have a plan. Something wasn't right for me in Phoenix Valley. When I joined them it was all lies on my behalf, and even if I had been able to reveal myself to them it still wouldn't have felt right. My friend Tala disappeared after a while, and so I left. For about the last month or so we've been staying with Niro. Vigilante granted me sanctuary in the Court for a little while. It still doesn't feel like home, though, and I've been reluctant to rejoin the pack.”

“I'm kind of just in limbo right now, I guess.” She rubbed the back of her head, above the hood. “I don't really know what to do with myself. But much like Demetrius did for you, the girls brought me back. They deserved more than the life of lies I was about to give them. They needed to know their father - before they grew into adults and had to come seek you out for themselves. Other than that, I don't have a plan.”

<style>
.orinflamingos p {margin:0px 0px 10px 0px; padding:0px 10px 0px 10px; text-indent:25px; }
.orinflamingos b {color:#E27196; font-size:12px;}
.orinflamingos {font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#7E93AC; word-spacing:1px; line-height:12px; width:480px; background-color:#E1E7EE; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; outline:1px solid #6D85A1; line-height:15px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... /orin2.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-bottom:230px; padding-top:5px; text-align:justify; }
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread