Like thieves in the night
WC: 513

[html]
[/html]Things were spiralling out of control and Claudius didn’t know how to help. He needed to do something, but he was so stricken by fear that he understood that he couldn’t even move any part of his body let alone help the Utinas. Liliana and Nayati had fled. He had always looked up to Nayati as an example of what a real tribesmember should be: strong, fleet-footed, and a strong hunter. And since he had dyed Liliana’s blanket in the early months, he had looked at her, too, but for different reasons. Now, his chest ached with the knowledge that they had left AniWaya and that their decision would bring the entire tribe against them.

Or, perhaps a part of the tribe. The young girl didn’t seem to understand that there was a time and place for everything, so when she spoke out, Claudius could see the fear in Ralla’s eyes. She should not have come to the meeting with Ralla: she was too young, too foolish, and too brazen with her words. Claudius suspected that if Maska was truly vicious, he would take her tongue for her treason, or worse.

He didn’t want to entertain such macabre thoughts, but it seemed as though everyone else was thinking the same thing. He could see the fear in everyone’s eyes; even Chitsa, who had been less outspoken at the first meeting and even pulled aside to speak at the end by Maska. This had not gone unnoticed by Claudius; though, he didn’t know what it meant.

The first to agree was Nahele, a guardian who seemed less of a thug than the others. He didn’t comment on the silly girl’s outburst, and for a moment, Claudius was glad. Although he thought the girl put them all at risk, he didn’t want to see her hurt -- even if he didn’t think she had the right to call Dawali ‘uncle.’ He couldn’t let his jealousy overtake his humanity.

A yellow wolf was the second to agree. Claudius had seen her more frequently than before with the frequent meetings. Before Maska’s arrival, he had never seen her before, so he didn’t know if she honestly believed what she was saying or not.

Another white-eyed male, not the same as the darker-furred one, spoke up and requested to remain uninvolved in the mission. For the sake of the children. This was the same reason for which they were going to war, and Claudius found it horribly coincidental. He tried not to giggle.

“I... w...ill... c-c-come,” he added. “If y-y-you need a sc-sc-ou-out,” he began, trying to quell his nerves -- and his stutter, “I c-can... sc-scout... ahead... I am... quick and kn-know the southern p-parts of th-the tr-tribe.” A half-truth and a half-lie. “We-wematin... knows me.... f-f-from th-the meeting... if you want me... I will go.” He needed to find a way to make this right: perhaps he could, if only he gained their trust. He didn’t know what he was going to do yet, but he knew he would find his answer in time.[html]
[/html]

Messages In This Thread