Whispers in the wind
Orin nodded as she listened to Ayasha, her expression somber. Everything the girl said added up. At least, it was a plausible story, whether or not it was true was a thing to be discovered in the future. Still, Orin believed the girl. The desperation in her eyes, the seriousness of her tone even though she looked like she hadn’t seen her first year yet.

"One week will be fine,” she nodded. “Don’t try to send us a message, it’s too dangerous. A messenger could betray you, and a guard might see you if you try to leave. If you or your mother can’t come leave a rib bone at this spot and we will know the danger is too great. It is much safer for us to sneak up to the borders than it would be for you to leave without suspicion.”

"We won't come back with anyone else. If you see someone else, or only one of us, then something is wrong. Don't show yourself if it is not the two of us, together. If we bring another for any reason they will wait for our signal before approaching the borders so we can tell you and Ralla that we brought them. Understand?"

She glanced at her silent cohort, wondering why he was so quiet. Then she noticed the attentive look in his eye and the twitch of an ear, even his nose seemed to wriggle now and then. He was keeping look-out, though the vein of his thoughts she did not exactly guess. Either way, he was vigilant, ensuring their safety.

“We should go. I fear for your safety if we speak much longer. But I have one more question,” she looked back to Ayasha. “I understand the orders Maska put in place on Dawali, but what has become of him? Is he still spirited or is he lost? And is he… still communicating with his people?”

She crooked an eyebrow. It would be impetrative to know whether or not Dawali was actually prepared to fight for his tribe. If not, any help d’Arte could offer might be wasted. Skye would need to know if the man lay in wait for a time to reclaim his rightful station, or if the disgrace had broken him.

Messages In This Thread