Don't Go Breaking My Heart
((WC:3+))

The shadows in his eyes darkened as she asked if he wanted to talk about it. He started to shake his head, then stilled as she placed a cool hand on his cheek. His heart throbbed painfully in his chest as she told him how she felt about him. His arms compulsively tightened, wanting to keep her at his side, keep her pressed against him. He pressed his lips to her forehead, leaving them there, just holding her.

The butterflies whispered louder, reminding him if he told she would leave him. That he couldn't tell anyone else about their plans for him. He closed his golden eyes, swallowing. "Trust me, Ayasha...you don't want to know. The darkness... it would change how you look at me forever. And I don't think I could handle that." He nuzzled into her, hiding his face from her.

The butterflies were as loud as his heartbeat now. He drew in a deep breath of her clean scent. "Talk to me, Ayasha. Tell me about you, about your family." His voice was tense, the relaxation of his body having subtly stiffened. If she could whisper them away like his father had done for his mother, he would tell her anyway. He strained to hear her answer through the silken rustling of the sooty butterfly wings. His grasp on her was gentle, though his muscles strained perceptibly through his russet fur.

He could feel them brushing against him now, trying to remind him of his duties to them, of the destiny they held for him. It was the first time he'd really fought against letting them overwhelm him, and the sensations it caused were almost physical pain to him. In fact, they were physical pain. A throbbing headache had begun, making his eyes feel hot and swollen. His voice was hoarse and tight when he raggedly whispered, "Please... talk to me. Make them go away."

Messages In This Thread