Don't Go Breaking My Heart
((Wc 3+))
He focused on her words, focused on breathing slowly. The butterflies faded back into the recesses of his mind, their indignant whispers full of venom. The headache was still there, but it too had lessened. He was startled to realize she had stopped speaking just seconds ago. Ayasha had done it for him, she had whispered the darkness away. It was only temporary, but she had done it. He let his muscles relax, drawing in a ragged breath. He would tell her about them, about the darkness. He stood tall again, looking at her through clear golden eyes. He rubbed her back as he considered how to continue.

"Thank you, Ayasha... that is the first time I've been able to resist them, or even wanted to." He paused, frowning slightly, then continued in a soft voice, his words somehow coming out flat. "When I was young, my eyes not even opened, I could hear my mother talking about the butterflies. Father would talk to her, giving her the strength to ignore them. And then Azza came, and he killed my sister. Father says he killed Mother too. I guess that's why the butterflies come to me now." He paused again, a hand drifting up to Ayasha's mane, idly playing with a lock of it, his eyes distant in thought.

"There are shadow wolves everywhere, Ayasha. Evil, pure evil. Azza was one. Lucifer is another. He raped my father and marked him as his property. Father doesn't know I saw, but I did. The butterflies tell me my destiny is to cleanse the world of their evil. The only good black thing is the butterflies, but they scare me." He turned a haunted gaze on Ayasha, wanting to hold her closer, but wanting her to pull away if she wanted to run away from him. "They want me to destroy the shadow wolves. Every last one of them. And it scares me."

Messages In This Thread