Season's End
[html]

The meeting started to get interesting.

The black she-wolf, who’d looked tense and had flinched at the peals of thunder, suddenly took a more confident approach to the conversation. She offered her opinion on packs, and while the hybrid started to open her mouth and tell her she didn’t want to hear it, the words “too weak to live alone” made her blink and smirk appreciatively.

“We agree on something—though I don’t think my opinion is as harsh as yours. I like packs whose members have spines, but it makes me want to vomit each time I see a dependent wolf crawling after their leader for scraps.”

She had a healthy dose of self-respect, and she wished to see the same in others. She thought of Sparrow, pressed against their mother’s side, a foil to her confident and independent sister. She thought of the coyotes trailing after Oliver as if he were some idol. All had disgusted her, and in the end, she’d left them when she couldn’t instill in them the guts she had.

“I’m honored,” Vesper said wryly when the female said she was worth talking to. “Glad that I can offer something to do on a rainy day.”

The canine stepped forward under the guise of the storm, just as Vesper had, and she wondered if this was an attempt at mockery or just a shared strategy. Regardless, she kept light on her toes, ready to leap and dodge if she needed to. She pricked her ears at the mention of a battle, her tongue swiping her lips as if she were staring at a piece of prey, then chuckled.

“If you’re so prepared to pretend you’ve never met me, why on earth would you give a damn what my name was?” The tawny wolf flicked her tail once in amusement then added, careless, “Call me Vesper. Want to return the favor?” She said this while beginning to move, pacing in a wide semicircle around the dark wolf, her gait lazy and showing that she didn’t intend to jump in and attack anytime soon. “I wouldn’t say no to a scrap, as long as death isn’t the end result,” she added, putting theatrical and mocking emphasis on the word “death.” Why some wolves were so prepared to throw their lives away battling a stranger was beyond her—but fights got her blood up in the best way.

<style>
.darkves .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.darkves p {padding:2px 0px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.darkves b {color:#71d3ef;}
.darkves {background-color:#565656; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/351e53l.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; font-family: tahoma, serif; font-size:12px; color:#5b454b; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; }
.darkves-border {width:500px; border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:10px; margin:0 auto; }
.darkves .inner {margin:450px 10px 10px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/25pct_white.png); border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:10px;}
.darkves .credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:500px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
</style>

[/html]

Messages In This Thread