Here comes the storm.
[html]
Ok, so a tiny bit of PP'ng, hope thats ok. >< / +679

Wayne was busy letting Duke loose from the wagon and sorting their things out. It was an easy enough job and giving the two girls some time together to talk and socialize. Dixie leaned closer to Sky and smiled as the other woman talked; taking in everything she was saying and mulling it over. Traveling a lengthy distance on her own two (or four) feet…that was something that Dixie had never really done before. She’d always had a hulking beast of a companion to carry her for long lengths of ground. The concept was pretty hard to build up in her mind and she started shaking her head. Why don’t you get a horse? They are great companions, strong and fast…and they are good fighters as well. Before we got Queen, Wayne’s horse Gypsy and my Duke over there killed a mountain lion after it attacked Duke and I. They stomped it to death…Its skin is now a part of the wagon.

She shook her head slowly and stood up after another few moments of listening to Sky talk about traveling. Her hand went out and stroked over Queen’s face. The mare sighed heavily and bobbed her head a bit, eyes drooping as she dozed while standing there near the warm fire. You ain’t no burden at all, hun. We ain’t got nowhere to be. Loners, travelers, rogues…call us what you may. She turned back to look at Sky and held her hand out to the brown woman, beckoning her closer. ”We got us plenty of food, and now that we are on the beach, I can go fishin’ when the sun shows itself and catch us some new jerky. Now…come on over here and put your hand on this horse’s neck. Stand right here in front of me. Dixie waited until the other girl moved closer and obeyed the gentle order, hoping she didn’t take offense to being bossed around by a pup half her size.

Wayne leaned against Duke, the stallion was nudging the sand with his nose and pulling up little pieces of sea grass. The man smiled as he watched the girls, letting them interact with the mare before moving any closer. He walked up and slid an arm over Queen’s back, rubbing the spotted horse’s withers gently. ”Ya’ll lookin’ mighty fine with this here pony…” He grinned and nudged Dixie’s back gently, teasing her and the other female without being rude. Dixie just rolled her eyes and shook her head a little, taking comfort in the sound of his deep and rumbling voice. It sounded as if he spoke from his chest, almost a growl with a southern accent. The voice very much fit his bulky and gruff appearance. Smiling still, he patted the mare’s back and walked off to sit by the fire, chewing on some of the jerky while he watched the three females.

Queen’s eyes opened when she smelled the new canine and felt the new touch, her head swinging around to get a better look. There was no hostility in her gaze and her body’s posture stayed relaxed and comfortable. Dixie grinned and moved a way as well, watching as Sky stood there petting the appaloosa. He’s right, Miss Sky. You look good together…Now I can’t give you my saddle, since it was a present from my Pa, but you can ride with a nice thick skin and a halter just as good. Queen was a pretty smooth ride and as long as Sky could hang on and just let the mare run, she’d be perfectly fine. It’ll be a while before we find another herd I reckon…so you can have my saddle skin, it has a belly cinch so you won’t go slidin’ off. I can make another while we search for some more horses. Getting closer again, she pressed her muzzle against Queen’s nose and gave her a little kiss, smiling when the horse nuzzled her face. Say hello to your new Mama, Queen. Miss Sky here is gonna take good care of ya I’m sure.

<style type="text/css">
.dixieemaay b {font-weight:bold; color:#babeb5; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #4b4d49; }
.dixieemaay p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.dixieemaay {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#888985; background-image:url(http://i51.tinypic.com/2mzqyo.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 220px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#4e5149; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
.dixieemaay p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.dixieemaay p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread