greet the dawn
[html]

I'm sorry if I take a while to make posts; normally I'm rapid-fire with this kind of thing during the weekends, but this time I'm busy. ><

Vesper hadn’t had a mundane encounter recently, though it was a welcome reprieve. She had met other loners braving storms, swapping threats, and chasing cats. While many felt awkward and unsure of what to do with themselves during the meet-and-greet of two strangers passing each other, it brought her a sense of relief. Even the simple gesture of a smile and a single word charmed her. She settled down on her haunches, calm yet interested.

The question the hybrid had asked seemed to be a frequent one to the gingery-coated female. She explained it was a name for a family and a task, sitting down and making another gesture with her paw. She explained that it was a warrior family, and the coywolf nodded quickly, smirking slightly with amusement at the gesture for “sense.”

Vesper nodded quickly, awkwardly lifting a slender forelimb. Bound to a four-legged form as a non-luperci, she didn’t have anything amounting to finesse or dexterity, but she copied the motion as well as she could. “Makes sense,” she added for her own benefit. It had taken her some time to get used to the convention of surnames that seemed popular in Nova Scotia, and yet the name Exultare had more meaning than a name stating a wolf was the descendant of certain wolves; it sounded more like an occupation or rank. “The Exultares are the warriors of the Nomads.” The statement wasn’t altogether confident, but she wanted to make sure she didn’t disrespect this woman’s culture by making false assumptions.

She lifted a hind paw to absently scratch at her tawny flank, taking a few moments to collect her thoughts before hesitantly offering another topic for discussion. She didn’t know how much she should ramble on, since X’yrin seemed to be a woman of few words, but she had an urge to share her own story—if in part, at least. Perhaps some unspoken questions could be answered.

“I have been almost like a nomad—but alone. When I was a teenager, I left my family”—or her family left her, courtesy of her father, but she held back that fact—“and wandered for seasons.” Her journey seemed trivial compared to this woman, who was older by nearly two years. “Do the Nomads wander for the freedom of it, or are they seeking something?”

Vesper was not as pure a wanderer as other wolves were; she didn’t consider herself strictly a traveler, because she knew eventually she might want to settle down. However, she’d journeyed for a great percentage of her young life and would continue to do so until a worthwhile opportunity presented itself.

Image courtesy of henrikj@Flickr; table by the Mentors!

<style> .K22911_v1 .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic;} .K22911_v1 p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;} .K22911_v1 b {font-family:verdana; color:#26292e; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;} .K22911_v1 {background-color:#94938f; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#606165; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb29 ... Vesper.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:284px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; border-radius:8px; } .K22911_v1-border {width:502px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;} p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread