Frienemies
[html]

“Must be a fox then,” Vesper remarked, watching the luperci inspect the den after most of the rubble had been cleared. “Those creatures reek.” She skirted the topic of coyotes quickly enough. Being a hybrid meant scrutiny from some prejudiced wolves, something that she didn’t think would go away even if she were to somehow gain that blasted virus. She was more proud about being non-luperci, though, as it was something that made her stand out among the general population; coyote hybrids were relatively commonplace.

The timber wolf sat down next to her, saying that she wasn’t civilized, and the smaller canine flashed her a smirk. “Fine by me. I like my women wild,” she teased, not meaning anything by the comment, though any awkwardness would probably just amuse her even more. She pricked her ears as the woman mentioned the deep tundra; it was somewhere even she had not ventured, though she’d met some grizzled wolves who lived that far north. She nodded once, her smirk slipping away into an expression of neutral respect. Idiots didn’t last long in tough conditions, after all.

Vesper nodded again as the woman offered her name. She hadn’t heard of the Pereth clan, but as xenophobic as her mother had been, they’d avoided company other than another fellow coyote mother here and there. She wondered if it was a large family or not.

“Who are you looking for?” she asked lightly. “I can’t say I know every canine in Nova Scotia, but there’s some chance I might run across them. I can at least send them your way.” She looked at the den again, thoughts of her own family creeping across her mind before she shook them angrily away. No, she wasn’t looking for her father or sister anymore—couldn’t take the anger or guilt. She would never admit it, but she was afraid of what she might find.

<style type="text/css">
.angryvesp b {font-weight:bold; color:#9a658d; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#1b364d 1px 1px 1px;}
.angryvesp t {font-style:italic; color:#9a658d; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#1b364d 1px 1px 1px;}
.angryvesp p {padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.angryvesp {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#2c597f; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/1zme93o.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 400px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#c2cdcd; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread