comfortable inside these wounds
[html]

Part of the way through writing this, I
realized that I had always intended for Vesper to be terrified of drowning. >> Luckily it hasn't really been established in roleplay so I'm good to change it. x3

This idea was more stupid than she’d thought, and she had thought it pretty stupid to begin with.

Vesper continued to paddle, the waves surging against her neck or breaking over her head. Her tail waggled back and forth behind her, but it was waterlogged and contributed no forward movement. She was determined, however, and she attacked the water like a foe, lips curled back in anger and defiance as she did her best to swim.

Thoughts lingered in the back of her mind, such as whether or not Kiara would actually join her. She wouldn’t put it above some wolves to change their minds about the water and abandon her—but a splash proved her wrong. The arctic wolf was either a strong swimmer, or Ves was doing worse than she’d thought; a slick white shape emerged from the water close to her.

From that point onward, the waves were no longer the great, foaming obstacles they had been closer to the shore. However, the water had turned almost tumultuous this far out anyway, perhaps a prediction of the storm to come. It undulated, causing the canines to bob up and down, and Vesper was getting sick of it.

There came a shove, and Vesper could feel her hindquarters dip into the water. A quick thrash of her hind legs corrected the angle, and Kiara’s pushing made progress faster. As they neared the shoreline of the isle, Vesper scanned for sharp rocks or other hazards, not wanting to get her body stuck in a crack or something ridiculous.

The sight of her destination brought a flood of relief to the hybrid, and she struck out on her own, managing to swim faster than Kiara was pushing her. She was sure that the arctic wolf could pass her easily if she wished, but for now she floundered toward the shore. Finally, her chest leaned up against a rock, and she struggled to pull her body up onto firm ground. She staggered a few steps and shook the water from her coat, ears drooping and muscles quivering.

“Never let me do that again,” Vesper snapped to the arctic wolf. “Except we’ll have to go back.” Her frown turned into a cynical smirk, and she shook more water from her tail. “Yeah, I think I’m going to live as a hermit on this island for now on. You can bring me food and news from the mainland.”

<style type="text/css">
.vesbluecrack b {font-weight:bold; color:#485066; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#f0f2f6 0px 0px 1px;}
.vesbluecrack p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.vesbluecrack .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic;}
.vesbluecrack {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#afbcd1; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/2w3ddac.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #f0f2f6; padding: 370px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#544e50; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread