rattlesnake.
[html]
The savage in man is never
quite eradicated

Word Count » +3

The first book Ezekiel had read was the Bible. He had been taught by his father, and he had devoured the holy words. After his injury, he had spent months doing nothing but reading. It had taken a long time for him to recover—but he had been patient, and this was why he had recovered to the point he had. Still, he had enjoyed losing himself in the books. While he had left the rest of the books here when he had left, Gabriel had put them into the Library within the Mansion. Ezekiel did not take them, but he had sometimes read old and familiar stories while in the building. He did not go there much these days. Halo and Cotl were there, and he had little desire to see either of them.

It was apparent, though, that the idea of hearing a story about the end of days was something he was enthralled by. His eyes were wide, hawkish yet, but full of wonder. His hands worked mechanically, plucking plumage and tossing it to the side. Even the feathers were useful. He stuffed a collection of deer hides together to make a plush bed for himself, and intended to present a similar gift to his grandmother before winter. It would be better than the ratty, human mattress that was full of metal.

“So the plague came first,” he muttered, and knew that this was not what he had imagined. “I have a book that talks about the end of the world too,” Ezekiel said, and began plucking the wings. These feathers he was careful with—he could use them for arrows. “Four horsemen come to bring it about. One of them is called Pestilence.” He spoke without fear and without doubt; Ezekiel believed in what he believed, but he did not fear what would come; he knew his place was with God. “I’d like to read your book, if you don’t mind. I could share some of mine with you too,” he added.

<style>
@import url(http://bloodandfire.sleepyglow.net/publ ... s/zeke.css);
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread