whittling away at the time
[html]

I did not notice this had been replied too! Whoops. Sorry.

Word Count → 239

"Try using squirrels." Alma replied, in her normal, deadpan voice - as if she was being serious. Then, she gave it away by smiling. The quiet concentration with which Vesper seemed to approach whittling also amused her, but she did not say so. She couldn't think of a clever way to convey her amusement that would not offend her future pack-mate.

"The last thing you need to do is shave off the tiny pieces of wood that stick out. Use the dull edge of the knife. Otherwise, anyone who tries to hold it might get splinters. If you're not careful, they'll get under the skin on your hands and won't come out." Since coming to Inferni, she had been using her voice more often. She was starting to get used to talking and hearing herself talk, her words becoming a little less stilted each time. "My father taught me how to whittle, and he claimed he had one stuck beneath his skin that he could never get out. Claimed he could tell when it was going to rain because it hurt, too."

A cool breeze blew over her fur, and Alma felt the creeping sensation of being watched - not by Vesper, but by something else. The fur on the back of her neck stood on end. One ear flicked behind her, but she heard nothing. She tried not to look behind her, or in the corner of her eyes. She didn't want to know. "Of course, he always made up stories." She shrugged, trying to be casual despite the instinctive fear creeping up her spine.

<style type="text/css">
.almaraze b {font-weight:bold; color:#557359; letter-spacing:1px; font-size:13px;}
.almaraze p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 13px; margin:0px;}
.almaraze {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#a7bcab; background-image:url(http://i41.tinypic.com/2njd1lt.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #2c392f; padding: 333px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#2c392f; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
.almaraze .wordcount {color:#557359; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #2c392f; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
.almaraze .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread