free firebird
[html]

WC - 489

X’yrin frowned at her admission then woofed an encouragement, a nonverbal order to keep her chin up, and it teased the faintest and weakest of smiles on the shamed hybrid’s lips. She nodded lightly to confirm that Inferni had become her pack, but that nod quickly ended and her eyes widened as X’yrin spoke of a group she too had decided to stay with. The humiliation flooded away from her, to think that the Nomad who had told her of the wonders of travel, who had been so pure in her beliefs, had too settled down. But Vesper would not judge the other; she hated being judged for her actions, even if she feared it sometimes, and she could understand the upsides of staying with a group.

“It’s nice to feel like you belong somewhere, and insurance when you feel unsafe,” Vesper murmured, “even if you don’t need it. Especially if you don’t need it. I didn’t make my choice lightly, either.” She smiled again, wondering if X’yrin had been able to find the balance of freedom and shelter like she had—or like she hoped she had. Truth be told, she had not made herself completely involved in Inferni yet, though it was mostly a matter of her short time there. Perhaps she’d be more tied to the pack as she remained, with more expected of her—but not yet. Now she was able to cross between worlds, even if she didn’t cross very far in either direction.

The Exultare woman set her sights on the eagle owl perched on her back, and the she-yote’s faint smile curled into an amused smirk. She regarded the bird curiously as X’y explained that it had found her. Did it serve a similar purpose to the hawk-man’s bird she had chased over the hills? It did seem to be just as much of a character as Tobias, at least.

“How’d you come together?” Vesper asked, settling on her haunches. “Does the owl have a name or special purpose?” She wasn’t sure if it was a simple companion animal or a hunter’s tool. Her logical mind leaned toward accepting the latter, but she’d come to learn that luperci were unusually fond of animals that would otherwise be viewed as food or competition.

The hybrid shrugged her muscular secui shoulders at the question, trying to hide her warmth at being cared for. “I’ve mostly healed, and I’ve tried out the two-legged form off and on. I’ll always be more comfortable how I was born, but there are advantages that I can’t ignore to the others.” She glanced down at herself, knowing this comparatively bulky body wouldn’t be as easily knocked around as the lupus one. It might be useful for a foe as fast as her. “I…kind of freaked out, the first shift.” She wasn’t sure why the confession had popped from her mouth, as it was a memory she would rather repress.

<style type="text/css">
.angryvesp b {font-weight:bold; color:#9a658d; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#1b364d 1px 1px 1px;}
.angryvesp t {font-style:italic; color:#9a658d; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#1b364d 1px 1px 1px;}
.angryvesp p {padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.angryvesp {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#2c597f; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/1zme93o.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 400px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#c2cdcd; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread