devil's in the details
[html]

Word Count: 513 -- Jammin' to that song
you sent me. x3

Vesper glared at the owl as it flew over to its companion. She wondered if there was some ulterior motive behind the attention it had paid the Tirones—whether to test her, befriend her, or more likely than anything, irritate the hell out of her. If it was the latter, it’d done well. She didn’t like the feeling of a predatory bird perched on her shoulders, the stories of pups being snatched away by eagles still fresh in her memories from her mother’s admonishments. Of course, as a child Ves hadn’t been afraid of any featherbrain, and she’d quickly gained the overconfidence to romp around just as Sparrow flinched at any shadow falling over her. Which one of them was wiser was still up in the air.

X’yrin seemed too shy or reluctant to take the gift, and Vesper grinned at her second remark. “You’re a rare breed indeed,” she teased, coal-tipped tail wagging now across the rock. There was no such thing as purity in motive anymore, though perhaps the Nomad culture was kinder than the ones that the young coywolf was used to fighting against. “Who knows—you might need the energy after our spar,” she added, clearly sarcastic and joking. If either one of them was going to break a metaphorical sweat from the combat, it would be the horribly untrained luperci rather than the skilled Exultare. Had they been on even ground—both four-legged—Vesper might have been able to put up a fight.

The rusty-gold wolf spoke a bit too quickly about her pack, which did not go unnoticed by Vesper. She arched a brow, bending the grazing fang mark across it, but did not push her. Nosy canines were something she couldn’t stand, and it would be hypocritical to bother her about it, even though she was concerned. She had other friends in Ichika no Ho-en besides X’yrin, after all.

“Everything seems fine in Inferni,” Vesper replied. She was no longer grinning; a smirk wavered politely on her lips at what she considered small talk. “Truth be told, I don’t interact with my clan mates as much as I should yet. I’m still new and trying to get the feel for everyone, though I respect those I’ve met so far.” She didn’t want to admit her discomfort around the strangers; while she was fine at meeting them one-on-one, those who hung around together were avoided carefully. Her old, solitary life could not be cast off so easily.

She sighed and pushed herself to her feet, stretching her arms briefly over her head then to the sides, feeling a satisfying pop from her shoulder. Her blue eyes scanned the area they were standing in—flat enough, nothing that would kill her if she lost her balance—then flashed a grin at her Nomad mentor. “I assume we start by trading blows?” she asked eagerly, already on her toes. That was how Ezekiel had taught her before moving onto verbal explanations, and she felt that it was the way that she learned best, throwing herself right into the fray.

<style type="text/css">
.vesbluecrack b {font-weight:bold; color:#485066; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#f0f2f6 0px 0px 1px;}
.vesbluecrack p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.vesbluecrack .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic;}
.vesbluecrack {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#afbcd1; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/2w3ddac.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #f0f2f6; padding: 370px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#544e50; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread