shadows in the dark
[html]

Word Count :: 369

Vesper was hypocritical. She enjoyed seeing the flaws in others flare up, even though she shared many of those flaws. His anger and annoyance at her presence was her current source of amusement, although she kept this mirth muted behind impassive if sarcastically narrowed blue eyes. It was a defense mechanism more than anything, hiding her fears by being as snarky as possible—though, had it not been so dark out, one could see her muscles tensed every time he snarled.

Her lip curled in a smirk as he stated how lucky the clan was. Perhaps they would be good warriors; this man’s sheer bulk and his brother’s skill in fighting were indicators of that. However, she hadn’t become a part of Inferni in hopes of joining a violent-minded army, and while she could tolerate those with slightly more vicious mindsets as long as they weren’t directed at her, she mainly wanted to be left alone or quietly enjoy moments with comrades.

“Very lucky,” Vesper muttered, not caring if he heard her or didn’t. She didn’t want to provoke him into physical violence, but his lofty statement was uncalled for. As arrogant as the she-yote was—acknowledged she was—she didn’t believe that she was blessing the clan with her presence. Her pride was internalized; she knew she was great, but whether or not others considered her worthy was not up for her to decide.

His attempted jab didn’t bother her. “Trained myself to keep my eyes open while I sleep, too,” the scrawny hybrid said, the statement more teasing and sarcastic than anything. “A loner has to stay vigilant. I’m not going to abandon that lifestyle just because I have the big Lykoi siblings to protect me.” She flicked her tail dismissively then frowned at his statement.

“I don’t think I’ll be getting to sleep anytime soon,” Vesper murmured, though this time her words were honest rather than mocking. “Four eyes are better than two. I’ll join you for a while.”

Patrolling would hopefully help her standing in the clan, as well. Remembering how she had been found at the border stakes, bleeding and helpless, she wanted to lend a paw in watching them.

“Lead the way, Columbine.”

Image courtesy of venomxbaby@deviantart; Table by the Mentors!

<style>
.K22911_Ves2 .ooc {font-size:12px; font-style:italic;}
.K22911_Ves2 p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.K22911_Ves2 b {font-family:verdana; color:#485776; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.K22911_Ves2 {background-color:#232631; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #171a22; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5717/vespertab.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:306px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; border-radius:8px; } .K22911_Ves2-border {width:502px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread