by the light of the moon
[html]

(542)

Myrika realized, with a suddenness that almost became visually apparent, that this woman might have encountered some of the same harshness Myri had in childhood. Zana seemed especially small; Myrika had been large and very coyote of feature in her youth. Zana seemed to carry most features of a coyote, but Myrika thought she could see the wolf in her. Perhaps she only appeared quite so coyote thanks to her petite size. The russet Consul had grown sharper of the eye where it came to identifying hybrid blood. She did not think she'd ever equal her grandmother for this ability, but was a pleasant surprise boon to becoming a member of Inferni.

For all her yearning for companionship, the red-haired woman did not think it would be wise to start inquiring on potentially painful memories so shortly after their very first meeting. She wouldn't have appreciated such inquiries, after all -- who was to say Zana even realized Myrika might have received teasing and harsh treatment? It had taken Myri a moment to realize it, even, and she was perhaps even projecting a little of her own experience onto her companion. Perhaps Zana had been lucky enough to grow up where the children were kinder than those in Thornloe.

She nodded with false and exaggerated misery at Zana's statement, sighing heavily for added effect. When the charade was finished, however, she cocked a half-smile to show her play, though the expression of jest fell quickly away as the tawny coyote mentioned her lack of paternal knowledge. Ah, I'm sorry. I know what that's like, kind of. I'm a Lykoi through my mother, Rachias, but I didn't know her longer than a month. Can't really remember her, the hybrid explained, eager to commiserate.

I don't know my father Kharma's family, though, the coyote added, frowning at the thought. Kharma had never spoken of his own family -- he'd only spoken poorly of the Lykois and all of Inferni. She would have to remember to ask him about this whenever the wheel rolled her toward him again, as she now found it peculiar. He had spoken poorly of Rachias's family to no end, but one might have expected Kharma to gasconade regarding his own good experiences, if his family had been so much better.

Myri was discovering, slowly, that these stories were of a different Inferni. The clan seemed far calmer than it had once been, and Myri was glad for it. As an aspiring historian, she was aware of the bloodied and dark history of the coyotes, but today's Inferni seemed an entirely different beast, eager to keep to itself. Were you just curious to know your father's family? Is that why you came to Inferni? Myri added, pondering whether Zana's reason for choosing the clan was at all similar to her own. She had come to realize it was this which had driven her here, and this which kept her from moving on and finding some other place. She wanted to know what she could about the Lykois and Inferni, and now that she had come to know them, she found she rather liked most of them.

Myrika is by Nat!

<style>
#myriNat {
font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;
font-size:14px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#myriNat p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#myriNat p.sieImage {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
}
#myriNat .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif;
text-transform:none;
font-style:italic;
font-weight:normal; }
#myriNat .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#myriNat b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#myriNat u { text-decoration: underline; }
#myriNat b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#myriNat b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#myriNat b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread