at a crossroads
[html]

“Sayin’ there’s ghosts is like sayin’ Papa Legba isn’t keeping a clean house,” she said smoothly as she shifted, moving from her kneeling position to sit on the ground. “He wouldn’t like you sayin’ a thing like that. Spirits are the keepers of the world, they take care o’ us. Papa Legba takes the ghosts through the gate to the next world.” She laughed softly, assuming the conclusions he could be making. “But don’t worry, I’m guessing nobody ever taught ya that so Legba will understand. He won’t hold that one against you.”

She watched with delight as he nosed and sniffed at her bounty, hoping he would like what he saw. Even if he was a puppy there was still a chance at making a trade. Things children liked often had an innate power beyond normal things, and they could make some wonderful offerings for the lwa. Or more merchandise…

But the next thing the boy said really pleased her. Her eyes widened when he said his name and then stated his title. “Ooh, a prince are ya?” Her moonish grin widened. “Well it is a pleasure to meet you, Prince Skoll Haskel.” She held out her hand for a friendly paw shake.

No one was ever really interested in Legba before. She was beginning to suspect her own pack, Cercatori d’Arte, believed him to be a figment of a wild imagination. He wasn’t though! And she so wished he would show himself to the others just once so they would believe her. Either way, it pleased her to no end when the boy inquired about Legba. She had already told him some, but there was always more… “Legba is the lwa – the spirit – of the crossroads. He is the Gatekeeper. If you’re in Papa Legba’s good favor he will open doorways for you that will lead to your every desire.” She waved her hand and looked off as though seeing some treasure far away. “But if you cross him, oh ho ho, you’ll be sorry.” She shook her head gravely, not expanding upon the thought any further.

Her eyes turned back to the pup and the smirk returned to her muzzle. She glanced at the jar he pawed at. “Ya like that color there?” She nodded toward the pigment in the jar. “Tell ya what, I’ll draw ya Papa Legba’s veve and ask him to bless you. No charge for Prince Skoll! Ya just remember the favor Legba and I did for you today and remember to pay attention when the roads clear for ya. Papa Legba opens the door for you to meet all the other lwa, too. Only good things can come from knowing the lwa. I’m well on my way m’self.”

<style type="text/css">
.zulieg01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#ffffff; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #7d3f0e; }
.zulieg01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#111111; text-align:center;}
.zulieg01 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.zulieg01 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#7d677e; background-image:url(http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3133/zulie01.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #98353c; padding: 190px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#bd9e85; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.zulieg01-border1 {width:504px; border:1px solid #fffff0; margin:0 auto;}
.zulieg01-line1 {width:450px; border-bottom:1px dotted #98353c; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
WC: 400+ :: Image © Outdated Productions@Flickr
[/html]

Messages In This Thread