Setting sun
[html]
OOC: <--> Word count: 1113

Couldn’t fully agree with that thought. Even if ships were somewhat unpleasant to most over longer durations of time, those that worked upon them seemed to be more comfortable at sea than on land. Everyone had their different preferences and the jackal, now, knew for certain that solid ground was a must. Even if the albino had no fear of water and knew fairly well how to swim, it was still just so unfamiliar and unknown. After all, the biggest bodies of water up until that point had been rivers or occasional ponds. There hadn’t even been any lakes near the jackal’s home.
“Well I wouldn’t agree with that. They are very nice, if the trip doesn’t take more than say one or two days. Then it’s all good since you should always be able to see land. But when there is no land for months at a time, it’s quite a bit frightening. I suppose seeing land just gives you more confidence, that you know exactly where you are and where you’re going. And know that if something goes wrong you have a small chance to escape. But if out on the ocean, there is no way you can survive if a violent storm breaks out and shatters the fragile ship. But otherwise ships are very beautiful and sailing is quite fun. Not to mention it apparently makes fishing a lot easier as well. Brings you in closer to a few selective spots. Or so some of the crew told me. At least that’s what was mostly on the menu. Fish cooked in different ways. Sometimes even raw, but honestly didn’t like that too much.”
The jackal rarely liked to eat anything raw. Meat on occasion sure but with the travels and the need of dried meat, tastes had changed a bit so if an option was available, then cooked meals would be preferred to those of raw nature. Hell, even insects if cooked or smoked properly were a lot better. One actually couldn’t tell the creepy-crawlies apart from regular meat. Aside from the obvious crunch that is.

At the mention of Eclipse’s connection to her home, the albino could just smile and nod since not fully understanding or feeling that bond. Sure home was home, but anywhere could be made into a new home. And anyone could become family. After all, jackals never formed large packs.
“Eh, well I must say I envy you then. You have a home you never wanted or will want to leave. Never really had anything like that. The only reason I didn’t leave my home sooner was basically because I’m odd. White and whatnot and cannot really stand the daylight. Hence why I have to wear these goggles. A gift from a neighboring family who had always been nice to us and apparently had actually heard of something such as this and managed to get their hands on some dark glass.”
Of course it was probably mostly so that that should they need a favor in return, they could always freely ask for it without bringing in anything to trade for. After all, a craftsman owing a favor to someone was nice. Quite hard to say no to no matter how insane the request might be.

Mostly families with the lead reproductive pair and just a few that stuck about. Generally no more members than five or so. Hence why there had never been things like pack hunts and such. Generally most went away when they could and formed their own families and so started a small pack of their own. What the jackals were, though was territorial. Even though fairly small, with the knowledge to create and wield weapons, they were rather formidable foes. There were no predators that a jackal was known to flee from at this point. And more often than not it was fighting amongst own kin for territorial rights and trespassing. There were so many small families that it was nearly impossible not to move through someone’s land or not end up hunting near a home. Not like there were many families, simply the best grounds were always taken and if one wanted to feed well, then some risks had to be taken. Not to mention defending own home with fang and claw.
“My pack... eeeh. Was mainly my family. Mother, father, a brother from a previous litter and some from the same as me. We don’t really have large packs. Or hunt together or anything really. As apparently I’ve learned wolves do. We generally try to stick to our little corners and live without really talking much to each other or getting too attached. Since at one point or another, most leave in search for something better or their own personal little hole to hide in. The only time that we got together and did something as one was when someone tried to take our land or move in too close. So yeah. Not really a home, but a place one is welcome to stay and land where one can hunt on.”

The jackal’s expression would turn to that of longing whilst actually trying to picture how it would be where everyone depended on one-another, helped out and didn’t fight amongst own bretheren for stupid things such as water or food. Ah yes, it sounded nice but the picture wouldn’t form completely since honestly the jackal was way too unfamiliar with such a lifestyle. It wasn’t bad to imagine it though.
“Ah, so your pack is larger than just your family? But yes I suppose hunting for them would be a nice gesture. I was responsible for my own food and my own only since.. a bit under a year after birth. But I do agree, your home sounds rather nice and you should definitely keep to it. One thing I’ve learned is when you have something that you hold dear, don’t spit on it and don’t lose it. After all, you never know how long those things last and it’s important to make every moment count.”
The jackal would pause for a moment before grinning sheepishly and rubbing at the back of own neck once again. “Okay, okay I might have just fed you a line that I heard from one of the sailors aboard the ship. But it does sound kind of right, doesn’t it? And as for your hunting, you should definitely try to get better and surprise them all with a great hunt. If you have a skill that you can and are comfortable doing then you should let it grow. Everyone has something they’re good at and use it get ahead in life.”
[/html]

Messages In This Thread