tear gas riot song.
[html]

(1108)
TL;DR - Eris sits. Eris listens. <_<

Eris is by me!

A great part of Eris was endlessly glad she had not been raised within Inferni. Harsh as Eterne had been to her in the end, the dark-furred coyote thought Inferni was, for the most part, without its magic. The blood that ran through the old woman's veins held its own power, true enough, but whatever lurked in Eris's mother's blood was far older than even the ancient and scarred woman herself. It was of an utterly feral nature, and Eris felt it course through her veins like fire at times, all the rage and madness of generations boiled and distilled into her.

She knew only what knowledge Kaena had passed along regarding Salvaged, as well as Tayui's slander, but the sable-furred woman did not think her father had been entirely absent from her life. He was certainly dead as a doornail shortly after she was conceived, this was true, but she had seen the shifting, green-eyed monster in her visions and in her dreams. She had seen him more times than she could count -- perhaps a part of her had always known, but all that she had suspected was confirmed upon her mother's story, that night when Eris had been just showing with Salvia, Pandemic, and Wretch.

The coyote settled beside her fire, onto one of the larger branches Molcaxitl had struggled to bring to Eris. She tucked her legs up and into her body, pulling the white cape around her body so it would not drag against the ground and become dirtied. She knew from her fox-pelt cloak just how quickly such pale garments could become irrevocably dirty; already the lowest edges of her fox-cloak were turning gray with age, and Molcaxitl dared not soak it completely. She could deal with silver rather than pale white, however, and she thought this leather would hold its color much longer than the fox fur.

Her chartreuse eyes turned toward her companion, and she listened to Siv speak at length. Her ears curved toward the woman, and her eyes rarely left the sparkling bright gem on Siv's forehead, despite the silver-tinged woman's motions and movements. The thing captivated her eyes, it seemed, and for once, there was no jealousy in the sable-shaded Auxiliary's gaze. Instead, she listened with an opened mind, as was typical when others shared their beliefs with her. The dark woman picked and chose what she would from the beliefs of others, and it dismayed her to know of Siv's gods. She paid her respects to Larkspur's, for she had seen what befell those who spoke ill of them. Were these more powers to which she must bow her head?

She found herself agreeing with the silvery woman as Siv elaborated. Men were not without their magics, true enough, but a powerful man was rare. Eris thought her dear Pandemic was dead with magic; what her dark son held in power, he derived from Larkspur's gods, and not his own self. She nodded enthusiastically as the woman spoke of Sirius. Their Boss would never admit such, and he might have gone so far as to silence those who would suggest such to his face, but Eris knew it to be true, and she would not punish Siv for speaking such truths to her. This was, after all, between women.

The coyote leaned in involuntarily and subconsciously as the dark woman before her did, the heat of fire against her face burning like fever. Her bright gaze caught the fire's light and swallowed it, both eyes seemingly lit from within. The coyote's head tilted almost imperceptibly, however, and a look of consternation came across her face. She did not understand this last thing Siv suggested; was it to take Larkspur's surname, or for him to take hers? She thought the former belittling of herself, and the latter likely to anger Larkspur's vengeful gods. Still, this one inconsistency did not make the rest of Siv's words any less truthful. The woman found herself needing to pause and collect her thoughts a moment before responding, which she did after she had leaned back to take stock of her own mind.

You speak truth of names, of women and men, and truth of our dear Boss. Men are given the physical strengths and dominance, but women hold truer power. It was like Eris to agree with one who gasconaded the superiority of women. This belief had held true from Eterne, and the dark-hued woman would be unlikely to relinquish it in life -- things that had held fast from her time in the far south were near permanent. Itzcitla would never be traded, though she might someday tire of Sandalio, rare as the owl was. Her spiral necklace might be temporarily removed in favor of more extravagant accessories on special occasion, but she would always replace it afterward.

But what you suggest of surnames -- am I to take Larkspur's, or he mine? Her tone was dubious enough, but the furrowed brow spoke her rejection of the idea all too plainly, her ears flicked half-mast to show further doubt. I would learn what you teach me, Siv, I would -- but I hope you do not expect me to blindly accept all you teach, the coyote said, entirely forgetful of whatever earlier resentment she'd held toward the silver-hued woman. She would remember it later, but for the moment, the conversation had enraptured her, and the dark-hued woman was barely aware of her conversational partner, instead stuck on the word the silver-hued woman had used, and its strange sound -- völva.

Eris hesitated a moment before continuing. I have told you my surname's origin, but not its importance to me, nor of the man who sired me, the coyote said, wishing to delve no further into this derailing tangent while on the subject of spirituality. There is power in it, as you've said, and I would not like to upset the balance I have crafted with it and Larkspur, the coyote added. She wished to share the same name as Basilaris, as Artemisia, as Salvia. She almost spoke of Reykr, and thought better of it -- she would see if they sang the same songs of their gods, or if she would find a radically different Father in Siv's life. It would not have surprised her -- for one who spoke of men and women as so separate, it would have been as she expected if their homeland segregated their religious teachings and services.

<style>
#erisSie2 {
font-family:'trebuchet ms', tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;
font-size:13px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#erisSie2 p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#erisSie2 p.sieImage {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
float:left; margin:5px;
}
#erisSie2 .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif
text-transform:none;
line-height:16px;
font-weight:normal; }
#erisSie2 .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#erisSie2 b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#erisSie2 u { text-decoration: underline; }
#erisSie2 b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisSie2 b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisSie2 b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread