And miles to go before I sleep
[html]

It did! People are posting like crazy for SoSuWriMo. 10 days left! WC: 438

Hanna was anything but a fighter; she could hold her own well enough, but she preferred to steer clear altogether. And if she knew she was going to be fighting, the only article of clothing she wore was her belt with its leather-sheathed hunting knives. And trying to heal wounded wolves in clothing was just absurd; blood did not like to come out of light fabric, she'd found. To her, clothing was merely for putting one's best foot forward; any other time it was extraneous. Hanna even forwent a cloak most of the time, though she was considering finding one to acquire.

Hanna stood quietly as the woman gave her identity as Naniko, the leader. A similar look of concentration passed across her features as Naniko admitted to recognizing Hanna from... Somewhere. Hanna felt the same. It had been three years since the fire, and both wolfesses had aged. Hanna's memory wasn't quite what it used to be. Still, she thought she remembered something from the Old Lands, both from her time in Chimera as well as after she'd joined Clouded Tears.

But wait. The last time she'd seen her was... Oh yes, Hanna remembered now. A fox kit, in the Concrete Jungle. Naniko was a healer like herself; the former Clouded Tears member (and apothecary?) had probably kept Hanna from being cut down that day. "We belonged to Clouded Tears together, under one Laruku Tears. Just before the Fire, I think it was, we both tried to help the same fox kit. I foolishly drew my blades against the Inferni leader." Hanna chuckled, she had been much stupider then. It seemed forever ago, but perhaps that was motherhood and growing up for you.

Naniko asked the standard question asked of every prospective joiner of any pack ever: What did Hanna have to offer? The woman thought about that for awhile, and finally said, "I have been a healer for years. I have been a part of several packs, and know a little bit about each one, though not all are still together. As any wolf, I hunt, I fish. I have trained a bird; I helped take care of the livestock with the AniWayans and kept this lot --" she pointed to the assortment of prey animals behind her "-- alive since the beginning of fall last year with a little help. I can tattoo, given time to find ingredients for my dyes. I can tan hides and start fires, and I'm still pretty lithe for a wolf going on nine years old, if I do say so myself. And I am always willing to learn more."

[/html]

Messages In This Thread