This betrayal burns like fire
ooc: Verusha is so fun! Feel free to progress things towards fishing or anything else in your next post as needed. 695

The sister's eyes shifted back and forth between sibling and mother as the coyote woman came nearer, the ferry sloshing to a watery arrival on the shore. Liliya helped hoist the ferry as far to land as it would go without becoming compromised and then fixated her eyes on Anatoliy, his excitement tangible. She wanted to celebrate with him but the nervousness stole it all away from her. She saw those orange eyes flick to the ring in their mother's nose but as yet he said nothing about it, he was too excited to bring it up. That, or perhaps he was ignorant to the sigil of the Salsola slave, and did not know that it was something their mother had not placed there on her own accord.

The coyote woman crouching on the ground at first only acknowledged the probing word with a flick of the ear, then she muttered, Nyet. Liliya stiffened and glanced at Anatoliy, then took a step forward, reaching for the work the Agata was so diligently focused on and taking the sack from her impatiently.

“Mother,” she said harshly, then softened. “Pay attention. We have a special visitor.”

Verusha's aggravated eyes turned on her daughter and she stood up, making a swipe for the sack but Liliya was too fast. “Vhat is this foolishness?” the slave started, but that was when she finally looked upon the guest. At first it seemed there was no recognition, yet her eyes didn't dart away from Anatoliy as they might have a true stranger. Her gaze lingered, looking at him dumbly for a moment, and then flicked up and down. Her mouth opened slightly as the gears clanked in her skull, her hoary brain worked to remember the visage. Liliya's breath caught in her chest, every muscle tense, and for the longest second in history she thought that perhaps her loony mother had actually forgotten her own child. Liliya started to shake her head softly, professing 'no' in the softest breath.

She was just about to speak up, to break this painful silence and urge Verusha to remember her son when the look in Verusha's eyes finally shifted, and Liliya breathed an audible sight of relief when the wide, lupine smile overtook Verusha's confusion. “Toliy!” She yelped gleefully, throwing her arms into the air and then taking his face in her hands as if he were only a boy. “Toliy, Toliy, Toliy! Vhere have you been? I missed you so much!” Emotion made her voice thick and quaver as she pulled him close for a tight hug.

Liliya wondered just how well Anatoliy remembered there mother and if he knew the question wasn't rhetorical when suddenly Verusha pushed him back and swatted him on the nose as though scolding a pup. “Well? Vhere have you been? Vhat did you thingk you vhere doingk, leavingk your mother like that?” Her look was cross for only a moment before she flattened her palm and rubbed him on his nose where she swatted it (if he let her), eyes melting to motherly love once again. “You had me worried. Every day I say to your sister, 'Vhere is your brother? Vhy he not home?' And she say, 'I don't know, Momma.' Oh well, you are home now. Is good, there is much to do. Now there is strongk man to help and I retire to cook.” She make a ticking noise with her tongue and waved her hand at the sack of mushrooms, then took it from Liliya and shoved it at her son.

Knowing where the mushrooms must go, that Verusha wouldn't let anybody but Anatoliy carry it, and what others would think if they saw Anatoliy – a stranger – doing the slave's work, Liliya quickly cut in. “How about ve catch some feesh and catch up on times, no?” She sounded a bit nervous, and was quick to rush off to her stash of fishing supplies by the dock. This place belonged to Salsola, and no one could penetrate her pack's borders, so there was no need to lock her things inside every day.

Messages In This Thread