...by Association
[html]

<33!

It was times like these that Saul rarely took notice of those around him. He had learnt to trust his hunting partner to do what was necessary, to stick to the assigned roles and make sure that the kill did not slip from between their jaws. Therefore he didn't pay attention to what X'yrin was doing at that moment in time. She would either support him or she wouldnt and there was very little he could do about it. He just about caught the whoosh of wings as they took off into the afternoon sun. Creamy paws remained insistent on the ground, a thrumming against the earth to say that he was on the hunt. He glanced back for the moment and was pleased to see X'yrin closing on the hind quarters of the doe. It would be over soon and the two of them would be able to feast as they liked before returning the meal back to their pack mates.

The defeaning bellows was his que and as X'yrin launched her body forward to attach herself securely to the back end of the doe, Saul made his move. Putting on a good burst of speed, the male too a flying leap towards the panicking animal, jaws closing in the perfect position to cut off her air supply and suffocate her. His mouth filled with blood as he landed on the mark, their combined weight bringing the doe kicking to the floor. She thrashed and jerked, trying to throw both wolves off her in a valiant attempt. But she was losing blood and oxygen fast and Saul knew she was near the end when her eyes rolled back suddenly, her jerking form quieting to stillness. They'd worked well together and Saul was pleased he'd come out here to find X'yrin today. Unhooking his jaws from around the does neck, he glanced back towards the older female.

"Good job X'y." He murmered softly, before getting to his paws. He started to whisper softly to the doe, thanking her for the life she'd given, albeit unwillingly, to sustain the wolf pack. "We thank you for your sacrifice, doe of the forest, and bid you lay in rest now that you are gone. I offer up a portion of my kill to the forest, to show my gratitude for the life taken today." His murmured thanks was followed up by the soft sound of tearing flesh as he cut away a portion of the doe's neck. With a glance towards X'yrin, he bounded towards the nearest tree, standing delicately on his hind legs to wedge the hunk of deer flesh between a fork in the tree. It would go to the birds and other carnivores who lived here. He moved back towards X'y and the deer, licking his lips to try and rid them of the blood that had stained his white muzzle.

word count → 481 ;; image © Fir0002/Flagstaffotos ;; table by lin
<style>
.saul-owlooc {font-style:italic; color:#000000;}
.saul-owlcred {font-style:italic; color:#000000; text-align:right; font-size:9px;}
.saul-owl p {padding:0px 20px 5px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.saul-owl b {color:#D1C2B9; text-shadow: 0.0em 0.0em 0.1em #5C4633; letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.saul-owl {font-family: georgia; font-size:12px; color:#5C4633; letter-spacing:.2px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:15px; text-align: justify; margin:0px auto; margin:5px auto; width:450px;}
.saul-owlinner{background-color:#9D7C5E; background-image:url(http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i32 ... aulbot.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 150px 0px; width:450px; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread