Shot Through The Heart
[html]
you know life should be beautiful,
so come on out of your shadows for a while

SSWM Word Count → 512 :: You would be correct. Big Grin And I made you that avatar, darling.

Blind lifted her head at the scarred woman’s approach, and Vesper feared for her resolve when those mismatched eyes locked onto her: sunlight yellow and chilling blue. Her heart, entrenched in ice as it seemed to be since the raid, skipped a couple of beats and left the rest of her body feeling like a gust of wind could blow it all away. Had she been a weaker creature, she might have trembled, but firmly she pressed her emotions into submission and shoved them back out of the way where they belonged. Only the loose feeling of strangeness, that weird detachment, was permitted to stay and envelop her protectively.

The curvy shape of the young she-wolf’s optime form condensed into one that was more familiar, if any of her forms could be considered that to someone who was realizing she knew less and less about this girl. A streak of white and red remained on her forehead, but otherwise Ves could have pretended that this was the same sweet creature she had played with in the forest so long ago, when both were untouched by the virus.

The Praetorian inhaled once more as Blind took a small step forward and did the same, taking in her scent carefully. The Crimson Dreams scent had faded from the chocolaty-black pelt, mixed instead with something that seemed fresh and new: the wilds of someplace that the well-traveled hybrid had not been, or at least had not been for a very long time. She had eaten recently and met with some strangers. It was all so very normal other than the lack of a pack scent, but that too Vesper already knew.

And then Blind let up a cry, and her body was pressed against the coywolf’s, and Vesper fought to keep control. She wanted to sink down beside the girl and cover her in kisses and tell her that everything was going to be okay again, and to confess how many hours had been spent thinking about her and where she had gone and the devastation that lingered in her heart of hearts at the abandonment she should have expected from experience.

But, although she did not pull away, Vesper made no move and remained quiet for several moments as she listened to the other’s irregular breathing. She finally dipped her muzzle and pressed her nose between the girl’s dark ears. “You left.” She sighed, her warm breath tickling the hairs on that oddly-colored stripe. “I had to ask one of your leaders, and she told me you had gone.” She did not want to put into words the tumultuous thoughts that had led up to the decision to visit the pack’s borders. “But she couldn’t tell me where you’d gone, or why. I’d given you up for lost.” The words fell calmly and quietly from her mouth. That was as much as she’d say, for now; she couldn’t trust letting out anything else. There was precious little in this life that she could control, and so she had to hold onto what she could.

coding by Raze; image used with permission from northcry

<style type="text/css">
.vesnorth .space {width:335px; height:386px; float:left;}
.vesnorth b {font-weight:bold; color:#5a6f7b; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px;}
.vesnorth p.ooc {font-style:italic; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.vesnorth p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.vesnorth .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#5a6f7b; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px;}
.vesnorth p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.vesnorth {margin:0px auto; width:98%; min-width:500px; max-width:749px; background-color:#1c151e; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/a7K60.png); background-position:top left; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#b5acaf; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
.vesnorth .name {color:#5a6f7b; font-size:30px; font-style:italic; text-align:center; text-indent:25px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; line-height:30px;}
.credit {font-family:georgia; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; text-align:center; line-height:10px;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread