they all say it
After the morning meditation, Tal had returned to the D’Arte tent. He had sat for a while with Draw, watching him sketch, trying his own hand at it. He was about to toss aside his sketch, when Draw stopped him with a gentle hand on his wrist. ”Looks a bit like Tameri and Sky, brother. You did good. I see their spirits in it, and your heart.” After that, Tal had allowed the artistic trader to hang it up with the others. The peaceful feeling had faded, and Tal felt a bit of resentment for that. And yet, now was the perfect time to go check out the stall with the gems he’d seen after arriving.

He stood in front of it now, admiring a nice piece of malachite. He glanced at the mournful looking male who stood near by. ”I’d like this piece. I have some herbs or salves to offer.” The trader shook his head gently, a sad smile on his lips. His voice was soft as he spoke. ”I have no use for herbs or salves, my friend. If you had some stone or other trinkets, I’d willingly trade that.”

Tal eyed the malachite, then set it down to rummage through his pack. ”I have this book on medicinal properties of different stones. It focuses on more foreign stones than I can find here. Perhaps it would interest you?” The trader’s interest was piqued, and a spirited discussion began over the worth of the book versus the worth of the stone. In the end, the males parted, both feeling that they had gotten the better end of the deal. The trader received the book he wanted, and Tal walked away with the malachite and several other stones he hadn’t had in his possession before, along with a silver chain with a large piece of quartz hanging from it. He hadn’t quite decided what to do with it, only that he had wanted it. For now, he strung the necklace around his neck as he walked to the large gathering tent.

He pulled out a canteen of water, some deer jerky, and his home made bread. Within moments, he’d ended up trading them for a flagon of wine and a different sort of jerky called pemmican. It was made with cranberries and antelope, and he found himself rather enjoying it and the home made wine. The sweet flavor of the home made wine actually made him forget about his vow to never drink. Instead he found himself wondering if it was possible to grow his own grapes and make his own wine.

Since he’d never drank before, it was impossible for him to know that the home made wine was stronger than he expected. In fact, by the end of his little meal, he was just a little bit tipsy.

((WC:472))

Messages In This Thread