Into the woods [aw]
[html]

OOC I seem to be in excess of muse, don't feel obligated to read the whole thing.

Word Count → 808

The pup was cowering and stank of her fear. Augustus noted that, but was relieved to some extent that she had found Terra first, not someone less friendly. With Inferni so close it was crucial to keep well within the borders, especially a pup. He gazed down at her auburn frame with his paws on either side of her, acting on instinct. It was a new feeling for Augustus. He had risen to the task of protecting Titania when they met the stranger, his new brother, Jiva, but this. This was different. This was no full grown wolf, capable of defending itself, this was nothing more than a child, and a young one at that, prey to some creatures. And her delicate little life was in his paws. The compelling urge to lick the young ones face and body washed over him and he found himself bathing her with his warm tongue, comforting her in one of the few ways he knew how. After all words were wind, and puppies needed more physical reassurances than an adult wolf.

His ears twitched to Terra’s angry words, how could he have forgotten her, and why was she so angry with him? He was only doing his duty, how could she not understand that? She was half a coyote, and although the other half was wolf it still remained a large part of her being. Zalen had been clear enough how he felt about them, and he was his superior, his alpha it as not within him to question that authority. There was nothing he had done to tarnish his reputation in Augustus’s eyes and he followed his will obediently. Even now as he stood over the pup he’d learn to call Holly. Terra’s scent would be on her fur, no doubt, and he didn’t want the fact to be noticed, or worse, held against Deuce. He did not doubt that Zalen would deal with her justly, but still, pups were born to wander, and Deuce had been nothing but gracious and kind to him.

“No, I don’t.” He replied with an echoing snarl, nothing more than a return for the one she’d given him. He truly did not believe the girl capable of harm, but there were larger things at play here, she had to understand, and if she didn’t he’d be forced to make her. He bared his teeth when she reached out to the pup and nudged her towards him. Was he not clear the first time? “Don’t touch her.” He warned, there was no snarl this time, but his teeth remained a line of pale daggers between them. He watched her every move as she turned away, keeping his head just above the pup’s body. His lips hid his fangs from sight for the moments that followed, but his tail was still high above his back. He was more than just a subordinate now, and here, the border was not far from them. He had all right to display his dominance, but hoped that she did not take it to heart. These were the ways of the wolf in ancient days, a way of life New Dawn was striving to return to. It came more naturally to him than others, he’d lived this way even after the virus swept across the world consuming man kind with it.

His eyes regarded Terra carefully, gaging her reactions. For the first time there was anger in her eyes, but he felt it could not be helped. His family came first, and although her safety was not at issue, their integrity was. With a nudge to the pup he stepped around her to approach Terra. Once within a mere foot of the coy wolf he spoke, “Terra.” He addressed her, calm and quiet. “There are greater things here than you and me.” He started to explain, his eyes peering into her own, trying to read them. “And I know you were trying to help, but she’s not your concern. I will see her back to the den and sort this out, and you cannot come with me.” His gaze turned to the pup for a moment before returning to her. “Things are different here than in the Court, and I have to ask you to stay away. We have no love of coyotes, and I’m afraid that your presence here does more harm than good.” He paused a moment, “I-I’m sorry I just hope that one day you’ll understand.” It was all he could do to stop this from happening again, and although it hurt him to say it just as much as it did for her to hear it, he was firm in his beliefs, and knew this was the way it had to be. When left with the choice between family and friendship, he would choose family every time.

Table Template by the Mentors!

<style>
.augustus-temp .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px;}
.augustus-temp p {padding:2px 0px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.augustus-temp .charname {font-family:tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif; color:#151524; margin:0px 0px 50px 0px; text-transform:uppercase; font-size:55px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px; text-align:center; width:100%;}
.augustus-temp b {color:#FFFFFF; letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.augustus-temp {background-color:#A1A7BF; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/ ... gg-1-1.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; font-family: tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#6C7081; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:489px; text-align:justify; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #A1A7BF; }
.augustus-temp .inner {margin:287px 5px 5px 5px; padding:15px; background-image:url(http://soulsrpg.com/images/pride/templa ... ate_bg.png); border-size:1px; border-width:1px; border-style: none solid solid solid; border-color:#A1A7BF;}
.augustus-temp p.wordcount {color:#FFFFFF; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; border-top:1px solid #A1A7BF; text-align:center; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 5px 15px; text-indent:0px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread