history is written by the victors
[html]

(536)

Myrika is by Kiki!

The dead were something Myri had not considered. Inferni had lived far to the north, yet it alone had survived the flames -- what did that say of the myriad wolf packs between Inferni's beach and the Halcyon range? The tawny woman supposed it meant they had all perished, or their leadership had crumbled at the first signs of thick smoke upon the horizon. Either seemed equally plausible, and perhaps it was not so exclusive -- perhaps a bit of both had contributed to the collapse of packs on the far side of the mountain. Myri grew thoughtful -- these were the questions historians were supposed to ponder, and it was relevant to Inferni. Why had they survived when all others perished, despite their northerly position? Myri herself had seen the long lands between the uppermost rises of the mountain range and the northernmost beach. She knew what a long distance it was. It was a mystery to ponder, certainly, and one she'd devote some thought to.

The Praetorian glanced to her companion with surprise -- albeit pleasant surprise -- upon her inquiry, cocking her head to the side and giving a thoughtful glance to the metal rafters of the overhang. There were many stories to choose from, though she did not know them all so well. I guess the story of the skulls. The tradition of hanging them around the borders came with Gabriel from Scintilla -- where he was a war-leader, and where Ithiel and Aemon were born. Gabriel and Kaena hung the first ones together. She supposed she liked it because she could envision Kaena and Gabriel -- though she'd never seen him, she imagined he looked a lot like Ezekiel, with a dash of Ithiel and Aemon for good measure -- painting the first skull and placing it on a pike along the edge of Inferni's territory.

She yanked the rabbit back once more, checking over it with bright turquoise eyes. She held it out to her Optio, smiling. Take the stick, it'll be hot, she warned. I guess it's kind of a boring story, but I like knowing why we do things, she said, shrugging. I mean. It's obviously why they're there, to scare off invaders, but I like knowing where traditions come from and all that other boring shit. I guess that's why I make a good historian, she said, forcing a laugh. The same with the ranks and why they are the way they are, she said. I like that story, too. Figuring her companion might inquiry, the russet-haired woman did not hesitate before speaking on the clan's rankings.

When the clan was first founded, there was only the leader, subleader, member, and youth's positions. When Kidorah took over, she made a new ranking system, more complex. Segodi changed it to his liking, and Kaena, Gabriel, and Ezekiel did more of the same. It's like a continuous project, always improving, she said, shrugging helplessly. Again, it wasn't that interesting, but Myri liked the story and the idea that things were getting better. The parts I like are the boring ones, she murmured, shaking her head and laughing softly to and at herself.

<style>
#myriKikiHorse {
font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;
font-size:14px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#myriKikiHorse p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#myriKikiHorse p.sieImage {
text-align:center;
float:left; margin:10px;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
}
#myriKikiHorse .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif;
text-transform:none;
font-style:italic;
font-weight:normal; }
#myriKikiHorse .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#myriKikiHorse b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#myriKikiHorse u { text-decoration: underline; }
#myriKikiHorse b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#myriKikiHorse b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#myriKikiHorse b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread