history is written by the victors
[html]

(407)

Myrika is by me!

Go ahead, the woman said, passing the rabbit back without a bite. I can eat later -- it's tough to talk with your mouth full, Myri added with a grin. She considered her scarred Optio's question with a tilt of her head, her face growing ponderous and faraway. There was nothing she could think of with quite the brisance as starting a war or anything to that effect. Inferni had many subleaders, though, and it was foolish to dismiss their contributions.

Anselm de le Poer, she said. After the fire, he helped Inferni settle down. A cousin of Gabriel's, he was -- he knew the land and helped us re-found ourselves this side of the mountain, right here on the Waste. I dunno what his rank was off-hand, though, she offered, shrugging. It was written in the book, but she had not taken the time to memorize the list of subleaders' names and ranks; just their names and deeds would suffice, she supposed. As for infamous... well, she said, grimacing. The second subleader Inferni had, he raped a wolf in Clouded Tears. He died for it at the hands of a different Clouded Tears wolf, and the wolf died, too -- but one of their sons lived. That son eventually gave Kaena children, and her daughter Rachias is my mother.

She had learned the deeper truth of her origins, prying into Kaena's mind. At first, the scarred woman offered a santized version of the history, sparing Myri the more gruesome details. Parts of it simply did not add up, however, and Myri had pestered the truth from the old woman at long last. This was far back in her own history, however -- her great-grandfather's deeds did not reflect down on her, and her father and grandfather both were consentual lovers of her maternal ancestors. Aside from that, it's Kaena and Gabriel who did the most sub-leading. The rest were made leaders quickly or passed out of memory, she said, smiling faintly. You don't have to do much to distinguish yourself from them -- just last more than a few months, and don't run off to some other pack, the woman said, speaking brightly and to reassure Vesper. Unfortunately, I guess a lot of it gets passed over. People remember the leaders, but not the subleaders -- even though many subleaders have served vitally in times of turmoil, she said, frowning.

<style>
@import url('http://sleepyglow.net/rp/post.css');
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread