standing outside the fire
[html]

Wayne realized as he stood and watched this man that he hadn’t had real dealings with coyotes before. He was quick to say that he put no stock in breed or species, as canines could interbreed so much that traits were bound to be muddled beyond recognition, but that was not wholly true. His perception of his own genes had changed since he started training with X’yrin, for he saw such capable fighting as largely wolf. His dog nature brought his familiarity with horses and other remnants of human life. Coyotes—coyotes he had little experience with, though his father had been quick to say they had no qualms about pulling down his sickly calves in the night.

The mongrel was inexperienced, though, and all he could do was watch and listen and develop his thoughts. He wasn’t as perceptive as Ithiel, who introduced himself as a scout, but that only meant his opinions would remain vague and unchanged until he grew keener. There was much still for him to learn and decide about the world; he hadn’t even seen his second spring yet.

During the introductions, he spared an appraising glance to the large horse. She looked like she’d need a firm hand in handling, but he could appreciate her for her size and strength; he simply wouldn’t want her in Casa, where there were still members inexperienced around the large animals. The turkey vulture was another matter, a dull bird but interesting among the more “attractive” raptors such as falcons and eagles. The dull-colored man knew that looks weren’t everything, though.

“I’m Wayne McCoy, stablemaster,” the Labrador replied in the same vein as the coyote. His own rank was of less importance than his unofficial but implied duty within the pack. “And—” He hesitated here, brown eyes sweeping over the burned region. He was not sure how much would be smart to reveal; he was a reserved luperci as it was, and he was especially cautious about information regarding his pack. He decided on a half truth, shrugging once more. “I was visitin’ a friend in Ichika. Decided to check this place out before I went back home.”

He chuckled slightly. “But you’re right, ain’t much to see. I’m almost afraid the land ’ll burn right up again.”

<style type="text/css">
.waygold b {font-weight:bold; color:#ec9030; font-size:16px; letter-spacing:0px; text-shadow:#1d0f02 1px 1px 2px;}
.waygold p:first-line {font-weight:bold; font-size:16px; letter-spacing:0px; text-shadow:#1d0f02 1px 1px 2px;}
.waygold p:first-letter {font-weight:bold; font-size:18px; letter-spacing:0px;}
.waygold .ooc {text-align:right; padding:5px 10px; font-family:verdana; font-size:11px;}
.waygold p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.waygold {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#643407; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Mvasm.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #1d0f02; border-radius:20px; padding: 350px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: garamond, sans-serif; font-size:15px; color:#1d0f02; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread