He ain't seen me crazy yet
[html]

Cassandra had never dwelled much on her mixed heritage. Even Inferni, fairy tale villains with their blood mania and coyote supremacy, consisted primarily of hybrids, according to her father. Her mother's family reigned supreme, and so all were mixbreeds. Coyote blood was still dominant, but she knew she had cousins or half-cousins, or relatives of one type or another that were more wolf than coyote, and after a few generations, she doubted anyone cared to keep track anymore. Kharma had taken pains to highlight the hypocrisy in these prejudices to his children, and as long ago as that had been, his daughter remembered.

She did not have an encyclopedic knowledge of dog breeds, so she neither recognized "mastiff" nor "saluki," but that didn't really matter. She took in what she saw and catalogued it from there. Mastiffs were gigantic in every way, size, height, bulk. Salukis were tall, but slender, wispy, leggy, and delicate-looking, with silky fur that looked inconvenient, somehow. But she mustn't judge the appearance, only the individual, and they were being civil enough, sincere enough. "Cassandra," she said, nodding.

"Coyotes are similar to wolves, I suppose. Smaller, more pointed... I don't know. The differences are rather superficial, but wolves don't seem to like us much." She shrugged, though she was surprised that there were places that coyotes had yet reached. The pallid woman looked at the quiet mare and took several more steps, closing the distance between them. "And her name?" She reached out a hand to touch the horse's nose.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread