the conditions from which they spring
[html]

(541)

They came, one by one or in pairs, moving with trepidation. It did not surprise him. Inferni was a large clan but words spread quickly. He felt the weight of leadership toiling against his shoulders yet, but held himself as if he had been carved of stone and shaped of fire. This was how his father would have done such a thing, and Ezekiel wished to reassure his coyotes of their place in the world. Amber eyes trailed over familiar faces and some less familiar yet; a puppy contained by the woman, Omni, who had just begun showing signs of the life growing inside of her. This pleased him; it would do well to have more children born into the clan.

Each greeting was returned with equal acknowledgement, though he found time to linger on a pale shape beyond his half-brother. Kastra had become familiar to him, and he felt a yearning desire for her yet—it was only his own behavior that kept them apart, for he was unsure how to act around her and hated the cross-examination that came with each conversation.

Vesper joined him and the golden coyote gave her a faint smile of approval, though it was short lived. His attention turned out as the final few stragglers trailed in—Enkiel was the last to come, looking sour and remaining far from the central circle. He resented his downward shift in the ranks, but it had been of his own doing; Halo had needed extreme and dedicated care, and he could not fill any duties beyond those of his co-rank. Still, Ezekiel knew it stung to see his position shift so suddenly.

Still, they all made sacrifices. “Inferni,” he began, his voice strong but not by volume alone. It had been strengthen by war, and battle, and blood. “Some of you know why I’ve called you here. As of today, Halo Lykoi no longer serves as the Triarii—she was grievously wounded by a deliberate attack by wolves upon her son.” The Aquila paused, took a breath, and exhaled steam into the cold air. “Let this serve as a warning to you all; none of us is above harm. If you engage in combat with a group of enemies, call for aid. Especially you younger ones.” He looked to Omni sharply, indicating she was within this group. Shifting on his rock, the scarred hybrid looked back amongst the odd mixture of coyote, hybrids, all different shapes and colors. How peculiar that they would become something like this.

“Once the winter passes, I want to repair this building behind us. Many of you live in it, and I’m sure you’re aware it needs it. Keep this in mind and look for supplies as you can; I’ll be going to Salsola to trade with them soon, but we should not rely on them alone. Look in human places, or cut down dead trees. If we intend to keep the mansion standing I suggest you look for areas that need repair.” Satisfied his point had been made, the golden male glanced to Vesper. Perhaps as their head scout, she could introduce the news about their newest neighbors (and changing leadership) that might not have reached ears that did not travel.

<style>
#zeke-raven {
font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;
font-size:14px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#zeke-raven p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#zeke-raven p.zeke-img {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
float:right; margin:5px;
}
#zeke-raven .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif;
text-transform:none;
font-style:italic;
font-weight:normal; }
#zeke-raven .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#zeke-raven b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#zeke-raven u { text-decoration: none; border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; }
#zeke-raven b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread