[aw] may god have mercy
[html]

(325)

Ithiel is by me!

The dusky-furred coyote listened to the musical tone of her low howl, his eyes following the shadow against the stars. The hawk landed, a red-tailed bird as he'd expected, and Ithiel watched the blind woman stoop to pick him up. His face made showed nothing even as he watched the bird's sharp claws latch onto the woman's arm, but his ears did flick in curiosity. As she spoke, however, one corner of his lip lifted, exposing a long and white fang, for all the good it did him. She could not see him, and perhaps this was why Ithiel was quick to show his anger -- he need not take exceptional care around her to hide them, did he?

I am no wolf, he said, pride apparent in his tone, though it was not the swaggering arrogance of one completely consumed by his species percentage. There was not complete truthfulness in his words -- he was part wolf. This was known to him, but he did not identify as a wolf, either -- this was why it was not a lie to have spoken thusly. And my guide has wings almost wide as I am tall -- and I am very tall, the man said. He was not astoundingly tall for a wolf, no, but he was a big coyote -- this was sure.

Why should I fear the night, again, miss? he asked, cocking his head to one side. The word miss was spoken with perfect politeness, as was all else he'd spoken. She might be a wolf, but she was a woman, and blind. There was little Ithiel feared from her -- her companion, vicious and dangerous as hawks might be, was more useful as a scout than an attacker, if he was like the Scintillan hawks. Even largeness did not matter so much -- his vulture was a very large bird, to be sure, but he lacked the speed and deadliness of eagles.

<style>
#ithielSie {
font-family:'trebuchet ms', tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;
font-size:13px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#ithielSie p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#ithielSie p.sieImage {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
float:left; margin:5px;
}
#ithielSie .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif
text-transform:none;
line-height:16px;
font-weight:normal; }
#ithielSie .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#ithielSie b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#ithielSie u { text-decoration: underline; }
#ithielSie b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#ithielSie b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#ithielSie b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread