[p] so sharpen your teeth or lay flat
[html]

(480)

Myrika is by Kiri!

The woman grinned, for he'd answered as she expected. So you'd be a traitor to your commander? she inquired, innocently enough. He'd told her previously he was bound to obey any command issued by his rightful authority -- in this case, Inferni's leadership, she supposed -- and here he refuted this with his own words. Ithiel looked at her sharply, lifting his lip to show a tooth.

Yes, but I don't think I'd serve a commander who'd issue that kind of ord--

Say you did, the woman interjected. You'd be a traitor to your commander, because you don't want to spill the blood of innocents. Why not? Myrika's inquiry was earnest, and she'd stopped playing with the little leather thing she'd used to hold back her hair. Ithiel's look of contemplation was one she appreciated -- too often, she thought that flat look meant he was not thinking at all, simply waiting for his next command -- and all too frequently, it seemed he expected her to command her. She wished he'd see the value in a soldier capable of thinking for himself, but he had been heavily indoctrinated, it seemed.

Dishonorable, he said, disdain apparent in his voice. They're not foes to be slaughtered. So it has nothing at all to do with emotion. There was pride in his voice -- he thought he'd figured out her game. She continued to grin, however, and tilted her own head to the side, regarding him with bright turquoise eyes.

So, what if your commander has your brother? He says he'll kill your brother if you don't kill the innocent little women and children. She was stretching the hyperbole, of course, but she was genuinely interested in his response, as well as convinced the exercise was worthwhile. For his part, Ithiel appeared strained, though whether this was in effort of keeping himself from walking away again or thinking, Myri could not say.

My brother would have to die, he said, frowning. But... the man appeared troubled, and glanced up at her with carnelian-hued eyes, ears laid flat against his head. I don't... think... I could do that to Aemon, he added quietly, his voice full of hesitation.

Myri's smile was knowing, and she peered at him with turquoise eyes that were curious now. You'd never forgive yourself either way, right? Brother or innocents, she said. So you do have emotion, she said, though the woman did not laugh. She wasn't sure if Ithiel was aware of such nuances in his mind and beliefs, and she did not wish to make a mockery of them. Naive as she was in her worldview, she earnestly believed her cousin's was worse off -- simplistic as it was, Ithiel was bound to encounter some shortcomings in his thinking.

<style>
#myrikaKiri {
font-family:georgia, serif;
font-size:12px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#myrikaKiri p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#myrikaKiri p.sieImage {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
float:left; margin:5px;
}
#myrikaKiri p.sieImage + p:first-letter {
font-size:65px;
display:block;
float:left;
margin:5px;
}
#myrikaKiri p.sieImage + p { text-indent:0; }
#myrikaKiri .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif
text-transform:none;
line-height:16px;
font-weight:normal; }
#myrikaKiri .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#myrikaKiri b { letter-spacing:-.5px; }
#myrikaKiri u { text-decoration: underline; }
#myrikaKiri b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#myrikaKiri b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#myrikaKiri b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread