in the night, i hear 'em talk
[html]
the coldest story ever told
Word Count :: 420 I love Cerberus and I love your writing.

Vesper was still not quite used to random physical contact from strangers, but she had at least gotten to a place where her response was not immediately bared teeth. The nose to his shoulder caused her to tense, but she looked more carefully at him—at the old scar on his brow, at the freshly healed cuts across the rest of his face including a tattered ear. His somewhat disorienting eyes regarded her as he spoke, and she found herself ignoring his words in favor of staring at him.

His eyes—his eyes, not exactly the same color. Mismatched again. She’d thought they were both wolfy amber, a mixture of their true hues, but one was honey-yellow compared to the scarlet-orange fire of its twin. Ironic. She could not smirk, however, for the toil in her stomach. It was always the eyes that got her, and only because of his scruffy boyishness she was not immediately drawn in. Take away a pretty girl’s face, and the spell was broken, letting her true feelings of unease show through.

His apologetic but casual demeanor collapsed when she asked the question, and for a moment, she was looking at herself—arrogant, dismissive, it doesn’t matter, it doesn’t hurt me a bit. Her head cocked, and she found herself smiling at him as if he were a friend she wanted to comfort. She never smiled for strangers. “No, you don’t. But you survived, and you’re all the stronger for it.” She was secretly relieved when he averted his heterochromatic eyes, but then there was a slight pinch of his brow, a crack in his voice. Was he still afraid of the attack that had rendered him injured so? Was there something else wrong?

“Perhaps not worse, but probably more,” Vesper answered honestly. She looked him over. “Mostly luperci, teeth and knives.” Plunging into her again and again, tainting her blood. She forced a chuckle, drawing out a memory that made her happy yet uncomfortable at the same time. “Though I’ve fought a bear before. I plucked its eye right of its head. It was foolish, and I would have run away had I not been protecting someone.”

She paused, looked at his troubled face. They could be brothers, she thought.

“Do you…want to talk about it, kid? It helps. Lets you know that it’s really over, talking about it, even if it’s not easy to get the words out. I owe you that much for bringing it all up anyway.”

Vesper was getting soft.

somewhere far along this road, she lost her soul.

Image courtesy of ChainBound

<style>
.GR2_Vesper p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.GR2_Vesper b {font-family:verdana; color:#424242; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold;}
.GR2_Vesper b.npc { color:#dadada; }
.GR2_Vesper t {font-family:verdana; color:#424242; font-size:11px; font-style:italic;}
.GR2_Vesper {background-color:#828282; font-family:verdana; font-size:11px; color:#000000; line-height:15px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7265/ves1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:120px 0px 0px 0px; border:0px solid #0000000; margin:0 auto; -webkit-border-top-left-radius: 18px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topleft: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topright: 18px; border-top-left-radius: 18px; border-top-right-radius: 18px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.GR2_Vesper .inner {margin:0 10px; background-image:url(http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/4346/21bn0ba.png); border-radius:10px; border:2px solid #000000; }
.GR2_Vesper .bottom { color:#dadada; text-align:right; font-family:Glegoo; font-size:14px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; line-height:20px; background-image:url(http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1259/ves3.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:0px 15px 220px 15px; }
.GR2_Vesper .top { color:#dadada; text-align:right; font-family:Glegoo; font-size:14px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px; line-height:20px;}
.GR2_Vesper .name {text-align:Left; font-family:Meddon; font-size:60px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:12px;}
.GR2_Vesper .ooc {text-align:right; font-family:verdana; color:#000000; font-size:9px; border-bottom:2px dotted #000000; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread