in the night, i hear 'em talk
[html]
the coldest story ever told
Word Count :: 542

It was her fault; it had to somehow be her fault. She paraded around claiming to be sinless save the dark mark that was her first and only kill, but Vesper had driven the dear girl away again and again. She’d tested her own loyalties and found the she-wolf not worth it, but that was unfair to say about a creature. Was she simply strong to turn her shoulder on Blind? Or was that some hint as to the cruelty lying underneath her, lying dormant in her jaws that had strangled Oliver. One should never sacrifice everything for another on a whim…but how could you deny a living creature what would make them happiest?

The scarred woman crouched and trembled and coughed when the sobs stuck in her throat. She was unaware of the male, involved only in the thoughts that made her fiercely ache. She couldn’t help but feel responsible, but at the same time a small voice in her head was calling her ridiculous. Grief was grief, but it should not overtake a soul completely, and she’d bite anyone who broke down in front of her as she was doing.

More justified anger toward herself rose from forgotten depths. There was nothing else she can do without throwing away her happiness. And she was selfish and independent. She cared for survival overall. However, just as she formed this conclusion and began to rise, a tongue fell on her ears and a warm body pressed close to her. And then she remembered how much she hated the suffering of others and began to cry again.

It was his muttered agreement that drew her back out of herself, and Vesper gave a shake that would dislodge the other hybrid. But he was already pulling away with another lick, one she would have considered inappropriately intimate from a male in any other situation. Looking at his mismatched eyes, innocent yellow and ember red, dispelled that unease and caused her to sigh and poke her nose against his chin, hoping to turn those eyes toward her so he would heed her words.

Vesper could not speak when she opened her mouth, though, and it was a few false starts, a few stifled pains in her chest, until she murmured, “None of it is your fault, and I’m sorry for ever snapping.” It was at herself rather than him she was yelling at, but he probably didn’t know that. “It’s just—I feel—it’s just unfair. Rogues like me who’ve tempted death several times get to live while the good souls fall like autumn leaves.” Her blue eyes lit with a sort of understanding as she spoke these words; it put her fury and grief into perspective. She wept for more than Blind, but Blind had been the one to symbolize her beliefs. And Blind had been sweet and endearing in every way, and…

“I wish… I wish I could have been there. Even if I couldn’t have prevented it. I don’t think anyone could have. But I wanted to say goodbye, and be there so she wasn’t scared…”

She looked at him, her face open and vulnerable and unlike what she had shown anyone before. “Did it take very long for her to die?”

somewhere far along this road, she lost her soul.

Image courtesy of ChainBound

<style>
.GR2_Vesper p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.GR2_Vesper b {font-family:verdana; color:#424242; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold;}
.GR2_Vesper b.npc { color:#dadada; }
.GR2_Vesper t {font-family:verdana; color:#424242; font-size:11px; font-style:italic;}
.GR2_Vesper {background-color:#828282; font-family:verdana; font-size:11px; color:#000000; line-height:15px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7265/ves1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:120px 0px 0px 0px; border:0px solid #0000000; margin:0 auto; -webkit-border-top-left-radius: 18px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topleft: 18px; -moz-border-radius-topright: 18px; border-top-left-radius: 18px; border-top-right-radius: 18px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.GR2_Vesper .inner {margin:0 10px; background-image:url(http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/4346/21bn0ba.png); border-radius:10px; border:2px solid #000000; }
.GR2_Vesper .bottom { color:#dadada; text-align:right; font-family:Glegoo; font-size:14px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; line-height:20px; background-image:url(http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1259/ves3.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:0px 15px 220px 15px; }
.GR2_Vesper .top { color:#dadada; text-align:right; font-family:Glegoo; font-size:14px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px; line-height:20px;}
.GR2_Vesper .name {text-align:Left; font-family:Meddon; font-size:60px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:12px;}
.GR2_Vesper .ooc {text-align:right; font-family:verdana; color:#000000; font-size:9px; border-bottom:2px dotted #000000; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread