felt the branches of it looking at me
[html]

pretend we know what we're doing +430

The lead scout continued to gaze at the trees, as if the forest itself would tell her how to best shield the stands. Instead, she found herself daydreaming about how effective the project would be once it was completed; any wolves who set foot within the Dampwoods would be feathered with arrows before they knew what hit them. She knew she’d have to train soon so she’d be able to release the projectiles alongside them.

I’d never imagined…

A scent as familiar yet distant as her mother’s milk reached her, and Vesper turned to glance at her sister. She nodded in acknowledgment of the greeting although her ear remained angled back and her hands suddenly couldn’t find a place on either side of her body. She crossed her arms and leaned against the tree.

She still didn’t know what to think about Sparrow’s presence within the fire clan. While she owed her a debt for abandoning her, her sibling had abandoned her as well, in her own way. Both of them could have done more to stick with the other, but ultimately the more independent sister simply hadn’t been interested. She’d always worked best alone.

But now she had someone tied to her through blood instead of bond, and she didn’t know what to do about it. Sparrow was a stranger, despite the familiar color of her eyes and the little mannerisms that carried over from their days as non-luperci pups.

The Optio opened her mouth to answer her question when muffled hoofbeats caused her ear to twitch. She regarded the stallion with the same distrust she did all horses, although he sounded more eager than menacing, and nodded at Ithiel gratefully. It was ironic that the somewhat distant soldier was easier for her to deal with than her own littermate.

“Sheltering the stands with foliage is the obvious solution,” Vesper said. “We’d have to find some way to keep branches and whatnot tied to the stands so they don’t simply drop in a wind, but it should shelter the archers somewhat. We shouldn’t use all deadfall, though, so there are still some green leaves that aren’t suspicious.” She rubbed the back of her neck as she angled her head to look at the stand above her. “That’s all I have, other than using some dye to make the chopped wood more natural, so I’d love it if you had any suggestions.” Her words were more directed to the experienced de le Poer rather than her sister, but who knew what Sparrow had learned in the seasons they were apart.

<style type="text/css">
.vesotes b {font-weight:bold; color:#AD4E00; letter-spacing:1px;}
.vesotes b.npc {font-weight:bold; color:#657e3a; letter-spacing:1px;}
.vesotes p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.vesotes {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#cfb1ae; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/f0o15.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #5c5453; padding: 310px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#5c5453; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>

[/html]

Messages In This Thread