Once more, for old time's sake
[html]

She's so jumpy! xD She'll warm up, she always does. WC: 433

Her heart was hammering in her chest, an erratic tempo that left her dizzy with anxiety. Her instinct to flee had always been a strong one, overriding her common sense whenever she felt the slightest bit in danger. Sometimes she would defend herself, if she felt like she had the right to, but in this case she was trespassing and her life was forfeit. Slowly, though, her hackles began to smooth out, her shallow breathing evening out to a more regulated pace. The stranger had already apologized, offering her open palms as a show of good faith. The sword remained at her belt, safely sheathed. Coli reluctantly straightened her posture, still eying the cinnamon-furred wolf with suspicion in case it was a ploy. She had been tricked before, and it was hard to trust someone who so clearly carried herself as a warrior.

"I... used to live here as well. Two winters ago." Coli answered tersely, ears swiveling for any sound of an accomplice entering the orchard. She still did not recognize the younger female, although now that she took into account the feminine blouse and skirt she was sporting, it began to seem less like an ambush and more like an honest coincidence. There was nothing roguish about the swordswoman's clear intonation, and there was integrity in her sea green eyes. Colibri's defensive energy began to fade into a surliness, the attitude she had adopted as a loner to repel those who would harass her.

Wiping the dirt from her palms onto her sides, she added, "I helped take care of this orchard, for a little while, at least. I heard the pack disbanded, so... figured I'd see for myself." It wasn't entirely untrue, though Coli had learned of Crimson Dreams dispersing only days after it happened, since she had been in the area. She just didn't want to tell a complete stranger how much it had hurt her.

"I was just gathering some seedlings and cuttings... I can't stay here, but I might try to start a little orchard elsewhere. That's all I was doing." She was trying to convince herself as much as the interrogator; it felt like stealing, even if no one haunted this place anymore. She knew she'd regret it if she left without anything to remind her of her home here, but the guilt she felt over having run away from her responsibilities was back in full force. The closest she had come to apologizing had been her conversation with Alder, Anu's son, and he encouraged her to forgive herself first. She did not know how.

Table by Alli!
[/html]

Messages In This Thread