Horses question!
For dog breeding, it usually takes around 50 years (I think--I couldn't find any stats on this) for you to be able to see a change, I believe. [This is mostly from where I've read about families that develop dog breeds in which the parent starts it and dies before it's done]

For instance, if you want to develop a dog that looks like a wolf and breed 3 dog breeds together, it would take a lot of generations before you get a distinct look, mostly because you have to keep breeding them until you achieve the desired effect. If a horse has a lifespan of 25-30 years and colts can begin breeding at 18 months (but usually don't start until 3 years), then it would take 30 years to get a tenth generation horse (assuming you breed every offspring when they turn 3). So I would think around 30 years to begin developing a new type of horse, though it might take longer to perfect it and develop a certain pattern of conformation.

This maaay or may not be totally accurate. >_> I can't find any resources on this so I am kind of just multiplying things. If we take this as true and use 30 years as a minimum and also add on the 5-10 years it probably took luperci to adapt and acquire horses, then 2018 is the earliest we might see a new breed of horse. Alternatively, given that we didn't start roleplaying with horses in 'Souls until about 2 years ago, then if we assume this is true for all of North America, then it wouldn't be until 2030 before we see the development of a new type of horse.

This assumes that you can make a horse larger than what exists already, which may be unlikely, since we may have already reached the limits in horse size, too.

Messages In This Thread