through mud and roots
[html]

Sure, this can be the ending, or you can post again if you want. Maybe have another thread soon? :>
WC: 566

Saul offered his ear, promising to listen to her whenever she needed to vent. She had the sneaking suspicion that he did not know how much he had volunteered himself for, but it did mean a lot to her that he would try. It was cathartic just to let slip some of what plagued her; whether it was the good company or the simple act of tilling the earth that had relaxed her sufficiently to admit to them. Maybe someday she'd be able to hold her head high, but for now it was enough to have someone else know some of what she was going through... and to know that he didn't blame her the way she blamed herself. And to be called family. Of course that was what a pack was supposed to mean to a wolf, but hearing it spoken aloud was moving. She swallowed the lump forming in her throat, blinking back the mist of tears that was obscuring her vision. Did she really have a family now? It did feel different from the other packs she had been a part of; smaller, close knit, dependable. She didn't deserve it, but she had found it. "Thank you," she said finally, once she could find her voice. "And, um, the same to you... if you ever need to talk about your new sweetheart, or anything else, I'm good at listening... I know it can be lonely being a leader." She knew this because of her Anu, once the alpha of Crimson Dreams. All they had desired was each others' company...

The two wolves moved with an industrious harmony, soon completing the task they had set before them. Coli rocked back on her hocks, brushing the loose soil from her light-furred fingers. Saul offered her sage advice, something she silently promised to take to heart. She needed a mantra, something to latch onto and believe in. Indecision was definitely the worst part, but she was afraid of closure; if she had to close that chapter of her life and leave it behind her for good, what would she do with herself next? There was no one else who could love her like Anu. "I hope it will be alright," she murmured. "I just don't know if I'm ready to choose yet." And how pathetic was that, knowing it had been years since she left? She had never been good about making decisions for herself, preferring to passively let things fall as they may.

She watched Saul with a bit of envy, seeing the way passion clouded his face and voice when he spoke of his special someone. He did not offer a name, and it did not bother her at all; he obviously cared about her deeply, and the pack would be made privy once they were ready to share. Young love was beautiful. She missed it. "Let me know if Temeraire will have some little brothers and sisters on the way," she teased gently, accepting the hand he offered her so that she could rise to her feet. His palms were warm, his fingers engulfing hers completely. He might not have realized, but she did not accept physical contact often, and it was a gesture of trust she offered him by accepting his. She nodded in agreement -- a meal would be most welcome after their work, and she was looking forward to it.

Table by Alli!
[/html]

Messages In This Thread