my heart's beating; is it serious?
[html]
[/html]Tayui nodded in reply as Ezra mused over the once-pack, Dahlia. She too had known a few, though, the ones that stood out to her the most were Addison and Conor Soul. She wondered what had happened to them. She hoped they were all right and doing well.

There was a lull in the conversation and Tayui wondered if the other man was struggling to find things to discuss. Chance encounters, she found, always tended toward being a bit uncomfortable since neither party knew one another and was just hoping that the other was friendly. Tayui didn’t like to automatically assume the worst of others, but the years had tempered her good will into something that reeked of suspicion and distrust. Still, he did her best to keep an open mind; he had not thus far displayed any odd behaviour, so that either meant he was friendly or completely insane. She was hoping for the former.

“From the north--near the Baie James region, east of the broken dam, if you’ve ever ventured there. It was a lake region and my pack spanned across the Native Eeyou Istchee,” she replied, parroting the things she had learned when she was young. She frowned slightly, but tried not to show her anxiety. Even though she knew this to be true, how much of what she remembered was false and distorted by her panic and horrible assumptions? Éloise had revealed the half-truths Aurèle had hinted at and what Honoré had likely been too cowardly to reveal. She wanted to claim pride, but her homeland was still mired in mystery. She just wished Éloise had not left. Maybe she was a ghost after all.

“We lived along the Grand River, which cut east and west across the lands. I left when I was only a year old, so things are--foggy--at best.” [html]
[/html]

Messages In This Thread