[m] [aw] you'll be free, child, once you have died
[html]

art by crypsis

Beyond being pretty, this girl was being friendly, and Max had very little of that as a child. While the clan was his home, most people were simply tolerant of him as opposed to friendly. Some were downright mean, though he supposed this was to be taken in stride. His stride, of course, usually involved turning his teeth or fists or stick upon them and beating some respect in, but Max was used to such savage behavior and hardly thought it odd. Someone talking to him without looking at him funny was also nice—most people couldn’t get over his pale fur or large body, which said NOT COYOTE all too clear.

He smiled broadly as she called him a coyote, though, and was glad for it. The term pretty, however, threw him off. Did she think he looked like a girl? Doubt bubbled up in him, but he forced himself to remain calm and save face. Maybe she meant handsome, or strong, or something that suited a warrior of Inferni and not…well, a girl like herself. His own tail began to wag, curled up near his back as it was. “I’m half and half,” he explained, not bothering to tell her that the dog half was a monster and he, by that logic, was part monster himself. “And the only white coyote I’ve ever seen,” Max added with a hint of pride. “Though I uh, I don’t know how much of a coyote I do look like. I’m not as skinny as everyone else.” He paused, thinking, trying hard not to fumble.

“You’re nice,” he finally settled on, and felt stupid immediately for saying such a thing.

<style>
#maxpose {
font-family:'georgia', tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;
font-size:12px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#maxpose p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#maxpose p.maxImage {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
float:right; margin:5px;
}
#maxpose .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:11px;
font-family:georgia, serif
text-transform:none;
font-style:italic;
line-height:16px;
font-weight:normal; }
#maxpose .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#maxpose b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#maxpose u { text-decoration: underline; }
#maxpose b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread