school of mules
[html]
Word Count :: 362 Kinda random, but at least I'm writing. x3

Handling his horse had become second nature for Skoll. He struggled at the beginning, unsure of how to interact with a beast at a lower level than him, but Alder was patient and had coached the boy through taking care of her and relating with her to make their partnership work. The actual skill of riding had come as well, since Hwin was used to different handlers from her time as a communal horse in the merchant pack, and the blonde boy was a quick learner. She still checked him sometimes, forgiving all but the most mundane errors and showcasing her stubbornness at inopportune moments.

Presently, for example, the bay sabino had decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the pasture, and she had to have it. The prince meant to keep her near the stables, letting her graze in sight of the building before taking her to the ring for some exercise and bonding, but she dug her hooves in the ground and refused to budge another inch. It wasn’t miscommunication this time—the boy made his commands clear and even added one of the very few, accented phrases of low speech he knew—but simple obstinacy on the part of the equine.

“Are you sure you aren’t a mule?” Skoll asked loudly, and then dropped the lead in exasperation, throwing his hands up. The horse tossed her head, jerking the rope even further from his reach, and lifted her head smugly. One normally mild eye regarded him mischievously as she turned to the side, flicking her dark tail. “Okay, you win, now what?” he asked, scowling.

In answer, the mare trotted toward him, pawing at the air with her dark hoof. Suddenly, she reached out and lipped his messy blonde hair before whinnying and whirling around, her tail carried high as she cantered away from the stables. He blinked then growled playfully and chased after her, waving his arms and herding her back toward the area. It became a game, the horse trying to figure out how to get past the boy, who did his best to block her in—both tireless in spirit and body.

I will beat the odds;
I can go the distance.
I will face the world:
fearless, proud and strong.
I will please the gods;
I can go the distance,
till I find my hero's welcome,
right where I belong.

Image courtesy of Stuck in Customs

<style>
.GR2_SkollH2 p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.GR2_SkollH2 b {font-family:garamond; color:#494d68; font-size:14px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_SkollH2 {background-color:#827d69; font-family:verdana; font-size:11px; color:#322f2a; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/xycrR.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:210px 0px 5px 0px; border:5px solid #494d68; margin:0 auto; border-radius:18px; -moz-border-radius:18px; -webkit-border-radius:18px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.GR2_SkollH2 .inner {margin:0 10px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Zu6hJ.png); border-radius:10px; border:2px solid #494d68; }
.GR2_SkollH2 .name {text-align:right; font-family:Almendra SC; font-size:60px; text-shadow:#102015 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:33px; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_SkollH2 .lyrics {color:#d0dadf; text-align:center; font-family:Fresca; font-size:11px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:10px; }
.GR2_SkollH2 .ooc {text-align:left; font-family:verdana; font-size:9px; border-bottom:2px dotted #090c19; padding:5px 15px 0px 15px; }
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread