In the Footsteps of Silent Shadows
[html]

--

As Cwmfen told her shortened story to the male Haku, he listened silently. For that she was grateful. While it would have been unintended, an interruption of open indifference would have greatly insulted her; interruptions were never appreciated. Of course, because the wolf before her was (or seemed) older and was also her superior, she would have accepted the interruption without comment or open displeasure. But there was none, and so she needed no endurance of it.

As she had finished speaking, questions seemed to rise immediately. The black wolf tensed inwardly, preparing for what may arise, for she was not yet ready to share that shame. But he did not press, and the questions that lingered in the air between them seemed to lessen and become faint and less urgent. The woad-marked fae let loose a soft sigh, one that could be dismissed as mere breathing. A blue tipped tail twitched with relief and contentedness, and she took comfort in that silence.

Earthen-toned Haku spoke again, using her name at the end. His accent was not perfect, and a soft smile, almost warm, tugged at her slender maw. It was not a sneering smile, but a friendly smile. The way he said her name was, in a way, cute. As Cwmfen made her reply, the smile lessened only slightly.

“I can fight— provide a measure of protection.” Her voice was a clear alto. She stated the skill foremost because it was what she did best; compared to others, however, she was probably not extraordinarily skilled, but she did not know this and knew only what she herself could do. Realizing that this skill would seem unconvincing to the male due to the tale she had told, Cwmfen paused before continuing, as if thinking. “I can hunt. I will do anything that is required with effort and commitment.” It may have been obvious, perhaps, that she had never experienced pack life. “I do not think, however, that the caring of pups would suit me...” she added shyly, almost as an afterthought. She had met only several pups in her short life, but she found that she could not make any connection with them.

If she could provide this pack with something that they required, perhaps she would be permitted to enter the boundaries, to enter into pack life. A little excitement flickered faintly within her heart. But she felt, suddenly, the weight of her travel. She stifled a yawn, a banded paw twitching as if wishing to rise to her maw in order to aid in the stifling, but the yawn had already passed and so it returned to the earth. Rising slowly, the black female re-worked her muscles. Cwmfen was afraid suddenly that she might fall asleep in front of the yet-stranger Haku, and the rudeness of that was something she could not stand.

“Sorry...” she apologized before hand. Her smile was also shy (she, contrary to her skills, was a shy wolf) and her soft ears flickered backwards and forwards, as if trying to catch some distant sound.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread