all that makes us human continues
[html]
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... sts/t4.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Her thoughts had been mostly wandering once he started talking, and she only logged the more important things while she continued in her own mental course. This was, of course, until his somewhat bitter remark. Immediately her thoughts ran into a wall, and she quickly clicked into the routine she had developed for keeping her anger in check. Focusing on her breathing, keeping her heart rate down, focusing her eyes on something in the distance, thinking of sunshine and bunnies and happy shit… But it all didn’t work very well, seeing as though she usually didn’t expect comments such as that from the level-headed Laurel. It was somewhat miraculous how they very rarely got on one another’s bad sides (only to come to terms days — if not hours — later), but she didn’t really respect the whole doomsday attitude paired with underhanded remarks. Especially when she was so Goddamn sick!

She realized that she had grown as rigid in a statue, her eyes narrowed into the distance, when she came back around to real time. He had mostly continued on with his negativity, and she could feel it sinking into her like a different kind of illness. She clenched her jaw, struggling not to yowl at him for being so out-of-character. It was her job, to make the jabs and the pessimism, not his! “I have done nothing out of the ordinary since I came here,” she half-hissed under her breath. “So you don’t have to worry about that. And your whole apocalyptic attitude is starting to wear down on my nerves. You don’t go up to a sick person and start talking about how they want their funeral, Laurel. Not even when you’re drunk.” She didn’t guard the sharp edges in her words; mostly because she never had before. “I would suggest trying to keep out of the gutter as well as a straight face, because, otherwise, everyone else will start to freak out and we’ll really have doomsday on our hands. No matter what you think, there is worse than this out there.”

Nikita’s mind briefly flicked back to her first few months living away from her family, in that city. She had seen more doom and plague there to make this look like everyone catching the common cold. She shivered slightly before banishing the memories back from whence they came.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread