Green Grass
[html]

LADIES ARE FULL OF GOSSIP. <3!!
WC: 851

lost into the weight of gravity

Eclipse and Lilin were the closest relatives she had left, and they were the only two Coli was comfortable enough to let into her personal space. Even if she did not know how to return the embrace, she trusted her niece enough not to protest. As Eclipse withdrew, she held such pity and righteous anger in her blue eyes, that the hint of Conor's violet made her redirect her own gaze to the ground. Coli could only blame herself for being too weak to fight the dog. "It's the same chance we all take, stepping outside of pack borders. I just got unlucky this time. At least I lived." The offer to assassinate him fell easily from her lips, as it had from several other of her packmates last week. It stirred a deep appreciation within her, a gratefulness that made her want to cry. It had been many long seasons since anyone cared about what happened to lonely Colibri Haki.

She rubbed her eyes quickly, scrubbing away the slight mist of tears that was welling there. No need for that! Eclipse mentioned her mother's absence, and Coli frowned sympathetically, silently wishing the Stormbringer dam was alright and would someday return to her daughter. She knew how devastating it must have been to lose Conor, but he lived on through his child. "I... I'll ask for Saul's help with that. I would love to keep in touch with you, although no one taught me reading and writing." Literacy seemed like a novel skill, taught to those with the luxury of using the written word. Coli did not learn it as a pup, and saw no need for it as an adult -- this was the first time she was considering changing that.

Colibri listened intently as she finished watering the herb garden. There was so much excitement in the younger wolf's voice; it sounded as though her spirit was uplifted just by the memory of this place, her new home. She found herself smiling right along, trying to picture everything -- the newborn horse, the wolf that could sail boats, the healer that fixed her paw... "You've been through so much in such a short time. It sounds amazing! I'm so glad you found a place that makes you this happy. I feel the same way here, and I am relieved to hear you're fitting in and making friends." She paused, glancing to Eclipse's feet to make sure she was not favoring one. "You're not hurt right now, are you? After all that travel and hunting? I can offer you some herbs to chew on -- that's the point of this garden, it's all for healing."

And then, so casually, so harmlessly, the conversation turned to the one that got away. Anu... Coli was never ready to hear that name spoken by others -- even though it cropped up in her thoughts daily, it made her heart leap into her throat to hear it aloud. "Ah... hold that thought, I... need a break..." she said haltingly, reeling from an onset of dizziness. She was just a little faint, that was all. It was hot out, and she had been on her feet all day. A sudden weakness in her knees caused her legs to buckle forward abruptly, dropping her to the dirt. She had tripped, no big deal. It definitely had nothing to do with the wrenching reminder of her greatest regret, leaving behind Crimson Dreams and her one true love. She was far too codependent to ever move on from that mistake. "S-sorry. I'm alright, I'll sit down on the grass for a bit," she mumbled, pulling herself off to one side. Luckily she had not crushed her plants -- what would she have told Saul if she flattened his witch-hazel? She could get her bearings back in a few moments, then she could get back to work. She was feeling very ill all of a sudden, and needed a distraction from the emotional wreck she was on the inside. Eclipse didn't need to be burdened with that tale of woe.

As she caught her breath, Coli glanced to Eclipse, watching as her embarrassed face flushed beneath her fur. It seemed they both got flustered easily by that sort of talk. "Calm down, I'm just teasing a little," she said apologetically, holding up her palms in a placating gesture. "Of course you're still young... but you are an adult, so if it's something you want... Well, I guess just don't wait as long as I did," she added with a shrug, smiling wryly. She would be turning six years old this winter, and she was further than ever from finding a mate and starting a family. Since the attack, she could barely withstand hugs; how was she supposed to lay with a man when the sight of them terrified her? It was time for her to give up on that part of life, but Eclipse still had that option open if she wanted it. She was so beautiful and talented, surely the males in her new pack had taken notice.

Table by Sace!
[/html]

Messages In This Thread