Homecoming
[html]
[/html]The mention of her mother immediately made her frown and Claudius instantly regretted mentioning it. Since Eclipse’s visit, he had thought more about Liliana than he had in a long time. Every so often, he’d see a horse and think of how she’d loved them or he’d recall the time she had tried to greet his sister at the borders. He didn’t think of her often, but it was still more frequent than he used to.

He saw Saqui’s spirit guide move closer to her and he realized that he must have upset her if her spirit guide picked up on it. He felt ashamed for mentioning it, since normally he was a lot more selective with his words. He knew that if someone said something like this to him, he would have had the same reaction. He was just so excited to see that she was doing well and was alive: he had worried that Nayati and his children had perished at some point.

“I-I’m suh-sorry fuh-for mention-i-i-ing it,” he replied, his eyes downcast. He looked back up at her to see her place her hand on her horse’s shoulder. It looked like a gesture intended to comfort her. Guilt swept through Claudius’ heart like violent waves. “I-I’m gla-a-a-ad tha-a-at they a-are wuh-well. O-of cuh-course yuh-you a-a-are wuh-welcome he-e-e-e-re. Wuh-we ha-a-ave tuh-two fa-a-armers now, tuh-two … ca-a-aring fuh-for o-our ho-o-rses, and tuh-two hu-u-unters… so… yuh-you ma-a-ay ta-a-ake whiche-e-e-ever… rank… yuh-you wish. Yuh-you ca-a-an also… take… on a co-ra-a-ank for your… additiona-a-a-al sku-hu-hills if yuh-you wish.” Since they already had their ranks filled with a mix of beginning and skilled professions, he did not see any reason to suggest one rank to her over another. Since she was from the Great Tribe, he knew that she would possess many of the skills they needed and since she had talents in many areas, he would like to see her assume a co-rank. At the moment, only he and Io possessed co-ranks, so it would do well to have others assume more responsibilities and contribute to a peaceful and well-functioning tribe.[html]
[/html]

Messages In This Thread